Complete France Forum

Removing creosote

Alane

The exterior timbers on our barn have, in places, been treated with a black substance that I assume is creosote. I'd like to get back to a more natural look. While I can get it off by using a sanding disc on an angle grinder this is messy and time consuming and also loses some of the wood in the process, presumably sand blasting would also work but would no doubt be costly as well.

Power washing removes some of the residue but not all - are there any products on the market that will remove creosote from timber, or at least the worst of it? I seem to recall this coming up before but I've done a search and can't find it. Some neighbours suggested oxalic acid and I've used this on small areas inside but this seems to be for lightening dark timbers, not for removing creosote.

All help gratefully received.

It definitely doesn't sound like creosote...it soaks in and wouldn't leave a 'black substance'  behind.

I think it's pitch (which is actually another form of creosote), and I'm afraid that normally means white spirit and wire brush. Even then it's unlikely you'll get rid of all traces. Sand blasting should work but is relatively expensive. Perhaps you could use a combination of the two?

Do make sure you protect your skin while attempting to remove any coal tar based products because they are irritants.

Good luck,

Aly

Archived