Complete France Forum

Planning permission for a portable building

James2

There are a number of self build portable garages on the market, but do I need `Permise de construire`?

I have a mason secondaire in the Dordogne, Dept 24

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards..........James2

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response, the building in question is typically constructed of either plastic or metal, they are normally erected on a concrete base and are bolted or screwed together in a manner that , if required, can be dismantled and re-erected on an alternative site.

( Hardly a tent but still portable) Although planning permission would not be nec[:)]essary in England, would a trip to the marie be advisable? 

Regards...................James2

On this topic, I wonder if anyone can comment.

I wish to shortly extend my main garage/workshop: the building will be slightly less than 20 Sq M, thus I believe I will only require  D de T?

However, thereafter (although I shall probably do this smaller bit first!), I want to construct a woodstore which will also house the new bunded oil tank. The woodstore will be enclosed, since it will simply "Box In" an existing boundary wall (which is mine) and adjoin a side wall of another small workshop. However since it will have new wooden walls front and back and a roof it will be enclosed. It will only be probably 14 Sq. M in size.

Now, my question is, if I am constructing these two developments, sequentially, with time in between, can I build both using a D de T? Or would I need a full application and Permise de Construire, since the gross development of both exceeds the 20 Sq.M allowance? Thus is this process cumulative?

Later on still, I want to erect a permanent store shed in the garden, which would add yet another probably 15 Sq. Ms !

I know in the UK that when one even erects a shed within a certain distance from the main dwelling, after a given space allowance a full planning app is necessary! I need one now for my storm porch as the aggregate size has been reached!

It never hurts to simply ask at the Marie GlueStick. I wanted to fit two large double-doors to a wooden building and dropped of at the Marie some pictures (before and after). I received a very nice letter from the mayor explaining that permission was not required for what I planned but thank you for asking.

The patio area I am now constructing required permission DdeT, and once again the Marie were most helpful in submitting the paperwork for me.

It should always be remembered that the rural french are naturally inquisitive and not much escapes their attention, so unless you live in true isolation, someone will know what you are doing.

Archived