Complete France Forum

Torchis "recipe" ?

joidevie

I have had a wonderful winding staircase hand made for me by a carpenter who uses ancient tools and techniques.. It is a chestnut frame and now requires some panels on the sides to encase a small loo underneath..

Unfortunately he has now left the country, but upon leaving he suggested I panel the voids in ply or plasterboad and then apply torchis to make a rustic finish. This would sit well with the exposed stone walls..

I suppose I'm looking for some ideas for how / what to mix to make an interesting / appropriate finish. Clay and hair were mentioned, but where do I 'find' a dozen wheelbarrows of clay in Aude? Do I add chalk? Hair? I thought of finding some old furniture and ripping out the upholstery.. Does it want chopping up first? Or does anyone know of a supplier of upholstery horse hair ( Carcassonne / Narbonne area )

An alternative was to simply use a mix of yellow sand and chalk and maybe add some 'hair' or straw for texture.. Any techniques for breaking down straw.. ? Or a fine pet straw maybe.. ?

Thanks for any ideas ..

Unless you face the sheet material with some laths, nails or chickenwire, the Torchis will simply slide off and look like, well a cowpat at your feet!

Ideally, you want a gap behind the wire or laths for the material to slide behind and create a really good bond.

Once there.........................................................

When we start the loft conversion, I have to take quite a bit of old Torchis (200 years!) from the main chimney breast.

Archived