Complete France Forum

Chauffe eau pressure reducer

westland

As part of our small extension we have a new chauffe eau which seems to have been working fine for a couple of months.  Recently the water pipes started to buzz almost constantly and after a bit of reseach on this forum we checked the security valve on the chauffe eau and found that it drips all the time.  We phoned the plumber who said that he doesn't know what is causing the noise in the pipes, we asked re. a pressure reducer and he agreed that this might solve the chauffe eau drip - we are hoping that it might also stop the pipes buzzing.

However, as we are still having problems getting him back. I am wondering how easy/difficult it might be to fit one myself?  OK don't all laugh at once, what do you think? 

P.S.  He did also say that the water company might have turned up the pressure, does this sound plausible?

Mine, (four years old, 200L from Leroy Merlin) has the same problem.

Personally, I would change the Groupe De Sécurité : given reasonable pressure norms, it still should not leak!

If not too old, call the installer/supplier back as it will be under warranty.

As above I would try the GdS first but assuming the feed into the CdE is on flexiable you may be able to install a 20/27  ( AKA 3/4 Inch for those who do not think Napoleoin won) reducteur de pression with M ( Male) on one side and F(Female) on the other just by undoing the feed into the fleixable pipe to the cylinder, after having turned off at the mains. Depends on clearences and will not work if the pulmber has used copper all the way to the cylinder.

One down side is that if you have a thermostatic mixed valve for a shower then you should also limit the pressure on the cold feed as well. Ideally by putting the valve before the cold feed tothe rooms which use the CdE.  I would not expect a GdS to start leaking in less than six months.

Thanks for the replies.. The plumber was suggesting that he puts the pressure reducer just after the stop tap where the supply enters the house, so hopefully this would mean that the shower mixer will be OK.  However, reading your replies it looks as if the problem is more about the GdS.  Chauffe eau and all plumbing was installed in Feb this year, so if/when we get the plumber back we can question whether we really do need a reducer.  The pipework is all copper so think that we will have to reply on him. 

Coupla small points;

The GDS should drip - but not all the time. It will drip when the water gets hot and expands.

A C-E should operate at about 3 bar. If your incoming mains is higher than this (quite possible), then you must fit a PR - in the incoming supply. This will probably stop the drips in a new GdS.

Coupla small points;

The GDS should drip - but not all the time. It will drip when the water gets hot and expands.

A C-E should operate at about 3 bar. If your incoming mains is higher than this (quite possible), then you must fit a PR - in the incoming supply. This will probably stop the drips in a new GdS.

Coupla small points;

An uptdate for anyone interested/having similar problems.  The plumber has been today, tested the pressure which was at 7bar and fitted a pressure reducer.  The buzzing pipes and chauffe eau drip have stopped.  Didn't like to tell him that thanks to research on the forum we had an idea what the problems might be!

Archived