Complete France Forum

Gravel

chocccie

[quote user="cooperlola"]

1 cubic metre = 1 metric tonne

[/quote]

Eeek - hate to question Coops when she's on such a roll at the mo' - but I think the equation refers to water (liquid?)

I'm sure when we got prices for gravel/ballast etc the ratio was something like 1:1.4 but for the life of me I cannot remember which way round[:-))]

I'm sure an expert will be along to contradict/elaborate soon - if not I'll dig out my files and check for you.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

1 cubic metre = 1 metric tonne

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

[/quote]

Not true for gravel Coop, 1m cu of dry, loose gravel is 1522 kg ie 1.522 tonne

Edit. It is related to water. 1tonne of pure water is 1000 kg is 1000 litres, anything more dense will weigh more per cu m any thing less dense weighs less per cu m.

If we're talking good old gravel with a mixture of sand and stones (20mm ish) with a touch of moisture as you'd use to mix concrete, then you are looking at 1.8 tonnes per cubic metre. I guess you want to spread a few stones around a garden like I plan to do which would have less sand/small particles, be drier and nearer to 1.6 / 1.5 tonnes - I think.

On another thread. JE I picked up the URL for your flickr compliation. (Or even your compilation: must remember to put me 'amsteads ihin right!)

Numbers might be a bloke's thing, but you certainly take some stonking good photos of some right 'andy motors!

HiJack over. Sorry peeps.

Archived