Complete France Forum

Builder nearly finished ... what now?

darnsarf

We're nearing completion of a renovation to the exterior (pierres apparentes crepis, roof tiles, guttering etc). The builder has yet to finish taking down the scaffolding and clearing up and then I'm meant to pay him his final 25%. Apat from the usual snagging list etc, could esteemed forumites tell me what I should now expect by way of paperwork? I assum I'll get  statement of all the project costs and a recipt for payment etc. Should I also get some sort of certificate to say that the work is covered by the 10 year insurance etc? If so, what is this called? Many thanks in advance..

Expect an invoice, which must be detailed, unless it agrees exactly with the devis (or devisss).

It is rarely automatic, but insist on a photocopy of his insurance attestation - this will identify the insurer and the policy, should you require them  in 9 years time.

Make sure you have signed (and have a copy of) the attestation for reduced-rate TVA, if appropriate.

Also ensure that he is registered and insured for the class of work he has done!

I have recently discovered that far from enjoying the comfort of the ten year insurance cover, if an artisan undertakes work for which he is not registered (e.g. roofing and he is simply a macon), then he won't actually be covered and neither will you!

Archived