Complete France Forum

France Telecom Master Socket?

BobDee

Is there such a thing? In UK and Spain Telecom terminate the incoming line on a box that has test facilities and from where you can run your own wiring.

We have in 47 a Tel line coming in that goes straight to a FT lightning protector (Quite a large 25 year old box containing 2 circuit devices). From here a 2 wire cable goes to another box that, as far as I can see has just a ringing capacitor, but 8 wires go from there to other sockets in the house.

My question,, Can I take out this old lightning protector and replace it with a smaller modern one? or do I have to call France Telecom and get them to do it given it directly terminates their line.

Can you buy a FT master socket if such a thing exists and do get you get Guilotined if you fit it yourself?

Regs

BobD

The previous house which I renovated did not have a telephone line when I started. The subcontractor for French Telecom installed a phone socket marked 'Tester' which had clips inside to take wires to extensions. If a telephone was plugged into the socket marked 'Tester' that phone worked but not of the other extentions did. Once that 'phone was unplugged everything else was phine.

Our current house just had telephne junction box with two wires in at the to right hand corner of the hall way.

I believe the lightening connector of FT property.

You can buy a master (test) socket, but only (AFAIAA) from "professional" suppliers. The mandatory RC network comes separately...

As far as lightning protectors are concerned, you must fit one if you are in a department where they are compulsory (and that includes Lot-et-Garonne). I know that "pros" are allowed to make changes to FT lines, I'm not sure about individuals - then again, if you fit decent quality devices without climbing the pole outside your house, who is to know? They are available from the same sources as the test sockets.

But, you don't actually need a master socket (as you do in the UK - which couples in the 3rd, ringing wire), as France uses a 2-wire system. But thene again, you are/were a comms engineer (yes?), so I am probably teaching me gran.....

Thanks Anton & Nick.

Nick what do mean by mandatory RC network. The UK master socket has a inclusive high resistance component that BT can use to see if the line is present up to subs premises. It used to be 33K ohms. Not sure if it still is plus a link system that the engineer used to disconnect the subscribers wiring and to provide a means of plugging a tester or "Butt" in as neccessary. Does the French Telecom master have similar facilities?

OK on the lightning protection. Legrand do a telecoms cct protector that could nicely be fitted in the Tableau, but dont know weather FT would like that. This present system has some sort of gap discharge component plus some pluggable devices that go from A and B legs to ground. These are only a bout 5 years old (Judging by the date code) so I guess thats what blows or shorts the line out under strike conditions. 

Regs

BobD

Getting back to the original question...

Nick I now know what you are refering to. I found A France Telecom publication here:

http://www.francetelecom.com/fr/groupe/initiatives/savoirplus/documentation/spec_techniques/att00022723/ITS01-ed8_EN.pdf

that describes in english the wiring of the subscriber installation. The RC device is used for line tests but interesting enough quite a few French enthusiast sites that endeavour to get the best out of ADSL connections, reckon its a good thing to remove it from the line, by cutting it out, literally. So I guess it isnt used by FT too much theses days.

This is such a site (In French):

http://www.echosdunet.net/dossiers/dossier_944_optimiser+votre+installation+telephonique+-+partie+1.html

Research will continue...

BobD 

Archived