Complete France Forum

Those little white house name signs..

BobDee

Our house has no name, no number and the lane on which we live has no signed name (Chemin Rural). The poste always finds us but couriers have a problem.

We went to the local Marie to ask about getting some signs made for our place, assuming we give it a name and to my surprise they scratched their heads and didnt know what the procedure was. I had expected a form to be produced and money demanded, but no. They said they would find out but no response to date.

Its clear that there is a norm for such things. All about the same size, same font style and all white with a black arrow at one end. A typical location might be an aluminium post with maybe a dozen of these house signs attached. We have tried asking the locals but most bought their houses already "named".  Local Bricos dont have anything.

Any ideas folks?

BD

Giving yr house a name does not help in finding a hamlet not on the map/GPS system or un-named roads. Most couriers should have yr phone number so tell them to let their fingers do the walking.

Also be grateful that unwanted family & friends can't find you either.

John

not

There is, as you say, a 'defacto 'standard for the local signs but they tend to be for hamlets of 5 or 6 houses either bunched up or spread out on the same chemin rural. There's probably some rule about a minimum number. However, there is a move (in our area at least) to not only label, but also to number, to which end, the Mayor himself came round a few weeks ago issuing little square engraved number panels, so we are now number 16! Anyway, the driving force for this is our local pompiers, so perhaps they might be a place to start ?  Your problem may be that you are just too small to be numbered and labelled. The concept of an individual house-name; in the English style: - "Dun Renovatin"  seems lost on the rural French, out here though.

Maybe you can persuade the mayor to label your chemin then plant something like a pampas grass outside the front door? At least then you can give directions a bit easier !

[quote user="Iceni"]

Giving yr house a name does not help in finding a hamlet not on the map/GPS system or un-named roads. Most couriers should have yr phone number so tell them to let their fingers do the walking.

Also be grateful that unwanted family & friends can't find you either.

John

not

[/quote]

that's pure wishful thinking, John. The UF&F can always find you !

p

Thanks folks for the responses. Couriers can find the hamlet, but then they get on the phone. We are on the edge of the Landes forest and the Pompiers say they have a plan in the "station" with names on. Havn't had cause to try this out though. Claire's helpful post will be investigated, . Some folk have made their own signs but that must be 'gainst the law.

BobD

Not trying to hijack this thread, I was thinking of making my own replacement white/black sign.  There seems to be a mixture of types in our area and think something needs doing pretty soon.  The sign shown has had rather a hard time, being bounced of a tractor several times and have been unable to find out where I could obtain a replacement.  This one is only one sided, though feel sure it would have had a twin at some point.

I suppose I should ask the farmer, but feel my french might not be adequate enough to avoid a bit of bad feeling.

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/grussuk/sign.jpg[/IMG]

Would be interested to know where these things come from and what kind of cost

When we bought our rural house some years ago, it came with one of these signs at the end of our little chemin rural. We are the only house and the road ends at our house. We asked at our Mairie if we could have some more signs (as in spite of having one sign, we are still quite difficult to find!) and they said they didn't provide any but we could just put up our own as long as they didn't get in anyones way (such as the chap who cuts the verges, etc). So we painted up a couple of wooden signs to look as close to the official one as possible and hubby put one on a wooden post and attached another to a telegraph post. We haven't received any complaints and signs are still in place, although starting to need repainted.

However, I've recently heard that the Maire is to arrange to have the signs in our commune redone. The commune also has recently purchased a lovely new tractor and grass cutter so think they must have some money to burn or could be to do with the Maire hoping to be re-elected!

Archived