Complete France Forum

I wish...

Beemer1150

We're seriously considering a complete renovation job - and no doubt everyone who's done this has something they wish they had, or hadn't, done at the time.

I'd love to be able to make use of other people's experiences - particularly heating (underfloor, source of heat etc), layout, clever electrics, cunning plumbing and so on.

The house is a traditional stone Charentais with a tile roof, in a small town/large village with about 1100sq m of land. It has a new roof, sound repointed walls, solid roof beams, concrete floors in two rooms and virtually nothing else - it's been stripped. Water and power are in the house, and mains drainage is available about 30m away (across our own land) in the road outside. We plan to use registered artisans for major work, finishing off such things as kitchen fitting, tiling etc ourselves. One end of the house will become a small self-contained Gite.

Any suggestions before we go headlong into this?

"We plan to use registered artisans for major work, finishing off such things as kitchen fitting, tiling etc ourselves".

There are some very good artisans in the area (and we have employed quite a few of them!),just be prepared to wait because if they are good they will normally be heavily booked and you will have to be patient. (I am sure you know this)

Re. The Gite:

There are already a lot in this area however bookings are usually good for the peak weeks and will at least provide a little income.

Bon courage et bonne chance [:)]

Archived