Complete France Forum

Advice on the best place to buy a house.

Hi Everybody.

Could anybody offer me advice on the best region to buy a house in France. I currently live in the Oise region 45 minutes north of Paris. I bought my house here 5 years ago as I work nearby, this quickly turned out to be a huge mistake. Me and my wife like sun, sea, mountains and life and we managed to buy a house in the 1 part of france that has none of these things.

In our village everybody closes their shutters around 5pm and thats the end of the day, summer or winter. There is no social life whatsoever and the weather is the worste I have ever experienced, and coming from the UK thats saying something. The last day we had without rain was April 24th, its now July 8th, and its still raining.

We have decided that this must be our last year without a summer and plan to put our house on the market next April so we can hopefully be ready to move next July when my son has his summer school holidays.

We are thinking of moving to either the Perpignan area or the Biarritz area. Does anybody know any towns or villages in these areas that are close to the beach, not too far from the ski resorts and have a sizeable expat community.

I plan to travel around these two areas in the next few months and want an idea of where to look. All advice would be very much appreciated.

All those views and no replies

Probably because 'the best place to live' is impossible to answer

Quillan in the Languedoc might be the place, about a hour from the coast and i'm sure I seen accommodation down there stating skiing was 30 mins.
Quite a few of us brits down there as well.

Plus only 3 hours to Barcelona.

Many thanks for your replies.

I know the weather in the UK has been very poor, however at least there is life over there. No matter where you go every little village will have a village pub which acts as a focal point for the village. There is absolutely nothing where I live, nor in any of the surrounding villages, we don't even have a park to go for a walk with the kids. I don't want my children growing up thinking this is normal. In Spain and Italy everyone goes for walks in the evenings and I love that atmosphere. I hope the southern borders of France will be similar.

I feel a bit like I am living in purgatory and I know France has so much more to offer.

I have actually spent 5 of the last 10 years living in Italy, in both Sicily and the Lake Garda area, it was wonderful. The reason we wanted to stay in France is that we are "in the system" so to speak. Also my son is now in French school, he is only 5 and already speaks 3 languages and I am not sure if another language will come easily or make it even harder for him. I don't want to give up on France yet, I am sure the south must be very different from the north.

You mention Biarritz - the Pyrenees Atlantiques, and the Bearne would provide the activities you're looking for. Towards the coast is flat but come inland a bit and the scenery is stunning. Can't recomend a specific place - only you can choose. But properties near the coast are v. expensive.

South West France would be my tip.

Great connections (Toulouse and Carcassonne to name but 2)

Sea, mountains, lakes

The friendliest french folk I've found

weather

Food

Wine

Wonderful value for money (property especially...OK I know I'm selling my house, but hey, it's true!)

Reasonable employment opportunities (for France) and other business opportunities especially if you can speak english (and french obviously!!)

Lively villages and a great outdoors lifestyle

I've only been here just over 3 years but I am STAYING!

Best of luck,

Ian

Archived