Complete France Forum

échafaudage permit

Chancer

I will soon be putting up some home made cantilever scaffolding around my building, it will be anchored to the brickwork of upper stories and will neither rest on nor obstruct the trottoir.

Am I correct in believing that the above permit will not be needed? I already have a declaration de travaux for the changes to the devanture.

I know that I should ask at the Mairie but they may misinterpret my request and I would then have to wait a long time for the permit, if it is confirmed by others that it will be needed I will whip up the scaffold at the weekend and apply for the permit on the Monday.

I believe that you do need a permit. The Mairie is supposed to grant it within two weeks.

However you may have some problems with you self supporting scaffolding.

Are you planning something like this

http://www.frenehard-michaux.fr/eventech-une-nouvelle-facon-d-echafauder...-n-5.html

If you are there are very strict regulations for self supporting gear, with a presumption that it can only be used where no alternative solution is practicable. You will be expected to use a cherry picker to install the scaffolding and also have the manufacturers instructions for installation. Installation must be by trained staff.  All parts must come from the same manufacturer's system.

http://www.layher.fr/old/pdf/circulaire_13_2006.pdf

No nothing as strong or well designed as that[:)] and certainly not as expensive, actually wood, sapin, not even bamboo! It is working well on the rear of the house but that is not facing the highway like the front.

There are normes for most things tucked away in a drawer somewhere in France, it is true that as a professional one must be aware of and should abide by them but there is no authority responsible to enforce them being used. As a particulier I dont think that these normes could even be enforced when working on your own property but the issue is a bit cloudy when it comes to public trottoirs.

As an example I am not the type to be overly worried about driving in Switzerland with a gps (see motoring thread) just because there happens to be a new legislation hidden somewhere, so whilst I am responsible and law abiding I am mostly concerned with abiding by regulations that are likely to be enforced or would cost me.

We will very soon see if my little backward part of France is up to speed on enforcing health and safety, the opposition may well come from a white collar worker responsible for health and safety at the large factory opposite.

I suspect that the Maire would prefer not to be apprised of my plans in advance, my previous requests to him have often been granted with a wink and "ni vu, ni connu".

If you are putting up scaffolding that is onto a usuable road then yes you must apply in writing to the local mairie for permission to do so and they will give you a reply stating the date of expiry when the scaffolding must be removed. You are also required to light and fence off the scaffolding and remove any ladders at night and weekends plus display a work panel to warn motorists there is an obstruction. Without permission you may well get fined by the gendarmes and the commune. The same applies to siting a benne for rubbish rermoval on any tarmaced road that is used by the public.

Sorry Val, been away on a trip to the UK.

You seem to know the score well so I would like to describe the situation (better!) again for your comments.

The property fronts on to the main road (i.e. no garden) and there is a footpath of about 2 metres between the kerb and the front wall.

If I used standard scaffolding it would rest on the footpath and only obstruct pedestrians and not vehicular traffic, except if pedestrians stepped out but they are usually seen as fair game[6]

BUT....... The scaffolding will be bolted to the front of the house at a height of 4 or 5 metres, it will not rest on the trottoir and there will be no ladders as access will be via an upstairs window. Of course there could be an issue of tools dropping on the heads of passers by, I will have a club hammer close to hand at all times in case one certain person dares to pass[:D]

If you, (with your knowledge) were tackling such works on your own house, that is to say notwithstanding the requirements of your proffessional insurance, would you be obliged to apply for a permit?

I forgot to say that there are very very few people who ever walk past the property and they nearly always stop to chat with me.

Hello. Yes I would definately have a word at the mairie just to let them know what you are upto. Unfortunately France is a strange place where insurance and exterior works are concerned and it would just cover you as well as letting people know what is going on. We don't actually have a road that close to the house when scaffolding is needed but OH always has to get permission when working on client's properties if the road or a pathway is in close proximity and there is a chance of any mishaps. I think really it would just be a courteous thing to do and tell the neighbours as well but as you say, it won't be on the actual path so its not going to affect anyone or anything usual. Just remember to take the ladders away each evening so kids won't be tempted to go up there.

Archived