Complete France Forum

Exposed stone wall and beam in bathroom

newbiee

I'm about to start creating a bathroom and there is one nice stone wall which I'd like to leave exposed.  What do I need to treat it with in order to keep it sound?  I've seen a product which seals outdoors brickwork, would that suffice.

There's also a major structural beam which I'd like to leave partly exposed.  Again, what should I treat it with?  (I though marine varnish maybe)

Thanks folks

Hi, I have similar.

First make sure that all your pointing is good, if not, repoint. You'll probably need to source some stuff called "chaux" from a buulder's merchants, it comes in a variety of colours to match your existing pointing, and is, I believe, lime mortar? (But i am ready to be corrected if it's not).

Personally, I'd NOT treat the wall after that, as treatment often stops it from breathing, and leads to problems in itself.

Our exposed beams are treated in areas we don't use, with simple Screwfix woodworm/insecticidal/fungicidal spray. Bought in the UK, diluted and sprayed by my other half.

Those we can see are done with an insecticidal/fungicidal varnish we bought at a Mr Bricolage. it's NOT cheap, at around €80 for 5 litres, but relatively easy to apply, and comes in various colours. Once it's on, the wood is sealed and a couple of coats can make beams shine, if that's your thing.

A visit to one of the DIY sheds will show that there are various brands that do the same job.

Unless the wall or the beam is in the splash zone they'll almost certainly be better off left alone. Just make sure you have decent ventilation (a Vent-Axia coupled to the light switch would be good) and anything that's been there a hundred years or so will still be there in another hundred.

If they are in the splash zone redesign your bathroom!

We have a very old beam that runs through our shower room and is above the shower. It was treated for woodworm and has just been left in its original state. The VMC ventilator (which is on all the time)  is high up on the back wall of the shower and to date there has not been a problem.

Archived