Complete France Forum

Back to Basics

Hello runningdog,

We have a place in Challans and use the CIC Banque CIO-BRO in Place Aristide opposite the Market Hall. We have a named contact there, the contact person has changed 2/3 times but all have spoken English if required. We have a paper statement monthly and internet access its a joint account and we both have bank cards and do not need 2 signatures. We pay 10 euros a month for the account. There may be better deals on cost but we have had no problems at all.

As Challans is not a holiday resort they do not keep a supply of literature in English which they may do in St Jean.

Whoever you bank with you will need a supply of RIBs or to give them the full title Releve D'Identite Bancaire to set up all your regular payments for untilities etc.

There is a French lady in St Christophe who does 'hand holding' and translation, we did not use her but I had some French lessons in June. If you want details please pm me and any other area specifice questions.

We have the basic Sky systen giving all free to air TV and all UK radio progs for when we are tired of French terrestial TV. 

Hope all goes well. 

A RIB simply carries all the information of your bank account so when you are setting up say a DD, you attach one. Just saves a lot of tediuos writing out of numbers and hopefully minimises mistakes and errors. Don't bank on it though..........!

Your French bank will provide you with some when you open an A/C plus you can photocopy them yourself if you run out. Mine are just on a sheet of A4 3 to the page.

With some banks I believe you can download them from their web site.

PM = Private message and sends a message to the recipient which doesn't appear on the forum. It seems that PM's can be a bit flaky for some and not actually go through. If you do PM someone it's sometimes useful to tell them so on the forum.

Health - agree with Ron, E121 is important. Just before you leave UK go to see your GP and ask for a prescription for as long as possible for your medications. There are equivalent ones in France and when you run out your nearest doctor will prescribe for you even before you are fully registered with CPAM though you might have to pay at first. When you are registered you will probably be covered 100% for your cardiac medications. Another point - inform your pension provider(s) about your move. Pat.

It looks as if you have a choice between Credit Agricole and Credit Mutual in your town, for phone numbers you can check on Pages Jaunes http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/ .

For the £20 Sky card (called Freesat from Sky) you'll need to phone this number before you go to France, 0870 240 5651, or see here http://www.freesatfromsky.com/ .  Ignore the £150 price tag, that's for the full set-up, if you only need the card it's just £20.

[quote user="Polremy"]Off the main subject slightly. This is for Rob Roy: please can you give me pointers for getting a good deal on a new car here in France! I was under the impression that you just had to pay the standard price. This has been the experience of friends. However, paying the full price for anything really goes against the grain for me so any suggestions would be really welcome. we are thinking of a new Twingo in the near future.[/quote]

Sorry, perhaps I didn't phrase that very well. What I meant was that if you are eventually going to change the car the cost of new v.used in France (in our opinion) is very much in favour of new and the finance offered makes for a very good deal. You can always pop up to Belgium for your new car - even better prices! 

Archived