Complete France Forum

Kiln Dried Sand

Tim

I am putting down some paving slabs and I have been recommended by a friend and adviser to finish the job off with some 'Kiln Dried Sand'. Can anyone tell me if this is available here in France and what it is likely to be called.

Thanks - Tim

In the UK I used to use dry mortar on slabs - a mix of soft sand (if sand is damp, just spread it in the sun to dry) and cement, brushed well into the joints, make sure none left on the surface.   Kiln dried sand (very fine, dry, soft sand) is more often used for block paving than for slabs.

A literal translation gives "Sable séché au four" which when entered in google.fr turns up a couple of pages with dry sand in them (for kiddies sandpits). I think what you really need is silica sand which is the stuff used to joint paving bricks.

This is called "Sable de silice" and seems to be used a lot in filtration equipment in France. e.g.

http://www.aquamerik.com/catalogue/produits.cgi?category=filtration_sabledesilice

Then again, I may be on the wrong track [:)]

[quote user="cassis"]Then again, if they are paving slabs rather than blocks then it's not best for jointing them anyway. [:D]

[/quote]

Well that depends [8-)]

Have a look at what one of the experts says here - even he agrees its confusing [:D]

Halfway down the page under Jointing

http://www.pavingexpert.com/pccflag1.htm

Well, thanks for your thoughts guys - we are putting down big blocks, or small slabs[:)] - I've got some sand today that my 'perfectionist friend' says should do the job, although he did suggest that I leave it out in the sun for a while - have just seen this weekend's forecast - it'll have to wait.

Again thanks - Tim

Archived