Complete France Forum

cheapest place.........

trees 2

I'm in south 87, almost 24, close to 16.

Where would be the cheapest outlet for electrical stuff, (sockets, switches etc), and for the metal framed walling stuff? Anywhere cheaper than Brico Depot.

My local Bricomarche sells double sockets, Legrand for €14.90, with different prices for horizontal or vertical, (which is ridiculous since the actual sockets can be changed to face any which way), and I've found them on t'internet at Brico Depot at Angouleme for €9.90.

They have also started charging a MINIMUM of €30 to deliver ANYTHING. When it was Briconautes, it was €10.

Thanks.

Since BricoLots and Kargo Hard Discount went broke I have not found anywhere cheaper than Brico Depot. In the UK double sockets are perhaps 20% more expensive than single and are as quick to install. In France they seem to average  3 times the prices of the equivalent single. The € 9.90. doubles are surface mounted which are need wiring up just like you would two single sockets. Also you should be aware that if you need a CONSUEL inspection the twin sockets counts as one socket for up to 8 sockets on 2.5 mm wire cuts both ways. If you need 4 sockets in a room because of its size then you need four sockets not two twins

If you are also buying a Tableaux Pre Equipes then you should be aware that Nalto who are Brico Depots cheapest line use disjointers who contacts are reversed left to right versus every other disjointer I have ever found. The result is that you cannot use a 'Bar de alimentation' with both Nalto and for instance Merlin Gerin or Legrand fittings on the same bar.

Wish it would stop raining so I could get on with fittings my new shutters.

Re single/double for consuel, Anton is correct but I will add that if you leave a gap of 1cm between two singles then they count as, you guessed it, - two singles [:)] I used this to my advantage to meet the minimum amount over a kitchen plan de travail.

All my double sockets are just two Brico-depot series Castel2 singles fitted (very carefully) side by side, total cost €1 the pair, OK they are not the most "designer loooking" (most of which look sh1te to me anyway) but to British eyes they look alright (i.e. anything different to what I am used to).

Given the massive difference in price between the Castel2 stuff and even the other sous marques I will continue to use them.

Re the Nalto tableaus I came up against the same problem the day before Consuel when I found out that Nalto do not make 2 ampere disjoncteurs which are essential for the VMC and for powering heures creuses contacteurs, and I had to find a solution sharpish but could not face having to pay for another make of disjoncteur differential to be compatible with them.

The solution involved some lateral thinking but the Consuel inspector was happy when I showed him how I achieved it, the computer is in front of the tableau at the moment and I am looking at one rangée with the Nalto 40 amp 30ma DD feeding Felten & Gerand disjoncteurs (the next cheapest) including two 2 ampere ones, a F&G jour nuit contacteur for the ballon and finally a Merlin Gerin triphase contacteur used as a jour/nuit contacteur feeding 3 different night storage heating circuits, the disjoncteurs for these are in fact Nalto but on a different rangée.

Hopefully Nalto will add 2 ampere disjoncteurs to their range, after all they market the tableaus for new installations but I wont hold my breath.

Archived