Complete France Forum

Double Glazed Units

Joshua

I'm looking for a supplier of Double Glazed Units that I can fit into frames that I will make from Hardwood myself

Are there such companies out there. Ideally in the Creuse or within a hundred mile radius of Limoges

If I make the windows an exact copy of the current windows with the exception of being thicker to accommodate the double glazing do I need to obtain planning permission

The house was built prior to 1850

Thanks Joshua

Hi Joshua,

Lapayere  or Vial  may help

If some of the windows are restoreable and you want to double glaze have you considered fitting galvanised angle in the rebates to create a deeper channel then using a hard wood lipping shaped in the reverse to receive the channel and the glass thereby creating the appearance of a complete wooden window but capable of receiving double glazed units. Not explaining this terribly well but I hope you get the idea. I have done this in the past but didn't take piccies....doh!, the welded metal frame beefs up the window once attached and helps take up the weight of the units. you may find that if your windows aren't too bad that the stiles etc are ok and its the bottom rails that are shot?

Cheers,

Archived