Complete France Forum

Wood Burning Stove yet again!!

Richard

We've just got our stove working - not a new one, but it was in the house when we bought it - and need some basic help.

It seems to get through wood very quickly, are we supposed to keep it topped up, or just reload when it's burnt almost everything up.

Am I correct in thinking that by closing the air vents, the wood should burn slower?

Thanks 

I found with my wood bolier I can leave it until it is just glowing embers before I need to top it up, when I think of all the wood I wasted initially.......[:$]....and I'm still learning how to use it most efficiently!

[quote user="Jo"]I found with my wood bolier I can leave it until it is just glowing embers before I need to top it up, when I think of all the wood I wasted initially.......[:$]....and I'm still learning how to use it most efficiently!
[/quote]

Jo, the only thing your saving, sounds like the re-lighting time. the stove will have cooled down so the energy used to get it back to temperature is not saving you anything unless of course you are too hot by then.

Hi Richard - You've had several possible explanations already; type of wood; less air = slower burn. Here's another thought on the air intake: the glass fibre "string" around the door(s) gradually burns away and so the seal becomes less effective. Manufacturers recommend changing the "Joint Thermique en fibre de verre tressee" every year but I do mine every two years, when it becomes difficult to get a really slow burn. Stay warm! [:)]

Archived