Complete France Forum

Size of Chauf Eau

Beemer1150

Appologies if this has been covered before - searching hasn't turned anything up.

What size Chauf Eau do I need? We are fitting out a very small cottage as a one-bedroom/sleeps-two gite; shower but no bath; cold-feed washing machine.

As space is limited a 100-litre would be ideal, but with a fairly substantial compromise on some other aspects of the accommodation I could squeeze in a 150-litre ballon.

I was hoping that a 100-litre with the thermostat well up would cope... any advice please?

Nombre d'habitants1 personne1 personne2 personnes 3 personnes4 personnes
Sanitaires1 évier
1 lavabo
1 évier
1 lavabo
1 douche
1 évier
1 lavabo
1 douche ou
1 petite baignoire
1 évier
1 lavabo
1 douche ou
1 petite baignoire
1 évier
2 lavabos
1 grande baignoire
Capacité du chauffe-eau15 à 75 litres75 à 100 litres100 à 150 litres150 à 200 litres200 à 300 litres

Is a typical grid supplied by the manufacturers.

If its for your own use then you will probably be OK. However knowing the way that tenants get through hot water, you might have fewer moans if you went for something slightly larger.

On the other hand, if its not going to be occupied all year round, given the high standing charge for off-peak electricity, you could probably opt for the single tariff. In which case the smaller tank would be OK as you wouldn't be waiting for the night time rate to top up the charge.

Thank you both for such a quick response and suggestions. Unfortunately I don't really have much choice of location (the loft is already the bedroom!) and a 100 litre would be very convenient. I had forgotten to mention that the cottage doesn't have an Heures Creuse supply, so the water will top-up at any time on the normal rate.

I'll go for the 100 litre.

Thanks again

I agree with all the above, I have 100 a litre in one property and 150 litre in another, both one bedroomed with showers, the 100 litre is adequate for family or educated users but the comments re tenants are so true!

Given that you are on a 24hr tariff they would only have to wait 5 hours to reheat it and usually learn their lesson that way, there are some available labelled as "surpuissant" that have a larger element i.e. 2.4kw instead of 1.2kw which would be worth getting if you will have tenants.

The 100 liter ones have the same 1.2kw element as the 150 litre ones (standard, not surpuiisant) so would recharge in 1/3 of the time less anyway,

Archived