Complete France Forum

Tips on buying chestnut wood

joidevie

I'm needing to attach a weather board at the bottom of a large barn door made 3 years ago by a cabinet maker (in chestnut). He can be difficult and claims there is no 'dry' wood available in the area. I'm sceptical and want to go it alone and find a carpenter who can shape a plank (?) with a nice edge.

I've heard of PANOFRANCE (there's one in Carcassonne) who seem to stock chataignier as 'plots' or 'dépareillés' here

Is this what I want to be buying? Will they supply just one length of say 3m or 4m in 18mm?

I'm not a 'wood' person & would love to hear any advice from someone who is!

Many thanks.

Most of the wood places and Point P have slices of tree you can buy. They should know how long it has been drying. Chat them up and they will let you choose the piece. Push hard on price though. We bought sliced oak tree to make window cills.

In my neck of the woods (No pun intended) you go to the local mill and give him a scribble which looks like a weather bar or whatever it is you want and wave euros at him until you have established the right amount. They don't care too much about mositure content unless its going inside.

Archived