Complete France Forum

Fosse Septique Installers.

Ysatis

Hello.

Can anyone recommend any fosse septique installers in the Civray area or a bit further afield. We are on the borders of 86, 79 and 16 in the Poitou-Charentes region.

Also, in people's experience, is it cheaper to DIY (husband is a builder/carpenter) or have a fosse installer do it.

Figures based on a 3000l tank, no grease tap, all pipework and manholes etc, sand, gravel and geotextile (feutre), very easy access, loads of room, no need for excess soil to be taken away, a 'lit filtrant vertical non drainé' of 25m2, and any other bits and bobs I can't think of at the moment. Oh, and a digger plus driver.

I am asking how long is a piece of string [blink].

Regards.

Not in your area, but we've just had a new fosse and filter bed done. Took installer about a week to do, with up to three guys working at a time. Used a mini pelle for a lot of connection pipework and a big digger for the fosse 'ole and the fliter bed. Our neighbour (farmer) was delighted to take away surplus spoil, but ye gods, the mud it all created ! Don't forget you also have to have a SPANC inspection before you close up the filter bed

We are not in your area so can not help on that one.

But we had a new system installed a year ago by a proper installer, 3000lt cost  5600€ which included a grease trap and a long 30m pipe.

My husband is a building contractor here in the UK and installing a septic tank is an everyday task but we would not have contemplated putting it in ourselves unless : our french was good enough to deal with SPANC,  we had a good knowledge of where to acquire all the relevant equipment and materials, and whether we wanted to spend one of our precious weeks doing that instead of more simpler jobs that needed doing.

It was not a question of money, more did we want to do it!

Hello Ysatis

We had a 3000 litre fosse installed 3 years ago by a firm in Chef-Boutonne: SARL MLTP Fontenille. I'm sure they can be found in Pages-blanches.

The total cost was just 4000€ and included all the excavation, removal of rubble, installation of the concrete fosse and a 5 metre square sand filter. Apart from turning the garden into our very own set from the battle of the Somme, (only joking, it soon recovered!) the work was done very quickly and efficiently. From start to finish just 2 days. This was part of other building work so there may be some price advantage there, but as it was the only work done by this particular contractor I somehow doubt it.

He liaised with the SPANC people for the inspection.

Sid 

[quote user="sid"]Apart from turning the garden into our very own set from the battle of the Somme, (only joking, it soon recovered!) [/quote]

Ahh yes I remember it well!! [:-))]

[IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/jackiepentrecoed/Francemarch08093-1.jpg[/IMG]

hi ok

If you diy it you can look at a cost for a 3000ltr system with sand filter of about €1800  . Just one bit of caution use the geogrille between the bottom layer of gravell and the sand the geotext blocks up if used here

put a detailed picture how to diy it here

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/Pdr_0054.jpg[/IMG]

go  to link at photobucket  page 5 !!!! think

Dave

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

[quote user="sid"]Apart from turning the garden into our very own set from the battle of the Somme, (only joking, it soon recovered!) [/quote]

Ahh yes I remember it well!! [:-))]

[IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/jackiepentrecoed/Francemarch08093-1.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

And I thought WE had moles!!!!!![:-))]

Hi.

Thanks all for your replies so far.

The photo's are handy, I didn't think it would make that much mess, but our garden is far from perfect having just recently put back very untidily, about 1500m2 of topsoil that we moved for foundations for a house that isn't going to be built now. So I'm not going to bother tidying it up until the fosse is in.

We are still trying to decide if to DIY or not. I think my french is up to it.

Regards.

I think it could be a DIY job, but there's an awful lot of rubble/soil to get rid of; there's the hole for the fosse itself, 3 cu metres, and the hole for the filter, 5x5x2 metres 50 cu metres!! The lorry was in and out of our drive all morning!

Bon courage!

Sid

Yes, I agree, that's a lot of soil to get rid of. We have almost an acre that with could spread it over but I don't think it would be a good idea because the majority of it would be subsoil.

Another consideration for us is not really being that proficient with a digger. Perhaps a possibility is to have someone dig the trench's and bed etc, and take away the soil and do the rest ourselves. Or is it that the bulk of the cost of an installation that part.

We continue to ponder.

Archived