Complete France Forum

New Laws on Fosse Septics

Kev26

Is anyone having to deal with the recent law changes regarding the updating of fosse's more than 2yrs old. We have had an inspection which has resulted in a tank which is ok but been told we must install new soakaway 25m square which we can no longer drive over. This would mean that land to the front of our house would take up virtually all the 25m sq, therefore limiting our parking space for our own vehicles and vistors. We have up to 4yrs to comply. Is there a different solution? e.g. going for a complete new design fosse tank that does not need a soakaway. Just needs emptying every 2yrs, which apparently we have to now do anyway.

Kev26

I'll let you know!

We also have had a letter from our local SPANC and I wonder how they will view our Fosse Septique.

Our village is mainly occipied by older people in small two up two down houses, along the rue Principal.

And, there is now way the Commune can afford to implement a central sewerage system: and no way these older retraites could afford to install new fosse septiques!

I shall discuss this with my friend M. le Maire!

I've read of various micro sewage treatment systems, one of which is

http://www.micro-station-france.com/Home/tabid/812/Default.aspx

http://www.micro-station-france.com/Accueil/DMSMicroStations/tabid/814/Default.aspxis

would dispense of the need for a large soakaway but I believe it's more expensive.

There's also a reedbed system, and I think you can have a vertical instead of horizontal soakaway if the soil is suitable.

Dave/Olive is the expert on this, if he replies.

[quote user="Patf"]

Dave/Olive is the expert on this, if he replies.

[/quote]

Taken from an earlier thread (Balustrade)

"mmmmm

if I turned out crap like that I would cut my throat with a broken bottle ???

Dave"

I await his reply with relish!

No, he has done a few fosses, and has pictures.

That link I gave doesn't work - I'll try again:http://www.micro-station-france.com/Accueil/DMSMicroStations/tabid/814/Default.aspx

Or Google WPL Diamond Micro Station D'epuration.

[quote user="g8vkv"]<pedant mode>

As a matter of interest, are they referring to "25 m. square"  (i.e. an area of 25x25 m. = 625m2 ), or "25 sq.m." (i.e 5x5 m =  25m2)?

</pedant mode>

There is a heck of a difference.

[/quote]

Almost certainly 25m².

Ours is 35m² (5x7) with a 4000l tank.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="g8vkv"]<pedant mode>

As a matter of interest, are they referring to "25 m. square"  (i.e. an area of 25x25 m. = 625m2 ), or "25 sq.m." (i.e 5x5 m =  25m2)?

</pedant mode>

There is a heck of a difference.

[/quote]

Almost certainly 25m².

Ours is 35m² (5x7) with a 4000l tank.

[/quote]

That's what I thought really - 5x5 surely isn't _that_ big?

Archived