Complete France Forum

Adoucisseur problem??

tuppence

Hi,

I have an adoucisseur (water softener) in my sous sol garage. If I have it removed what would the result be regarding the water(and I know you are thinking why ask the question as the answer is obvious[8-)]!!). But I am bombarded with phone calls from the manufacturer/service people to come and service it at a high cost. I don't even know if or what I have to do inbetween servicing. It was in the house prior to me buying it and as I have always lived in a hard water area in the UK with no apparent problems, should I have it taken out and save myself money? Or just leave it where it is unserviced? [8-)]

tuppence

Find out what is fed from the adoucisseur, I sincerely hope that your drinking water isnt but my property had been plumbed that way, then you will know what may be at risk.

If you remove or bypass it your hot water ballon may not last as long and you could suffer limescale deposits in your washing machine, although whilst this phenomenon exists I have only ever seen machines (allegedly) fail from it in Calgonmarketingland.

Unless you have a very good and recent ballon yours will no doubt need replacing sometime soon, mine were full of calc despite the adoucisseur but still working, when yours go replace it with something like a Pacific ballon with a titanium anode and corrosion control circuit.

I junked my adoucisseur 4 years ago and have suffered no ill efects other than occasionally having to clean the tap filters and shower head with lemon juice.

Vinegar is cheaper than lemon juice, JR, and works just as well.  I buy the colourless vinegar with 8% alcohol (costs pennies) and use it to clean kettles, shower heads, etc and also use it in the final rinse cycle of the washing machine.

Thanks JR, I guess I should have someone (French) to look at what is fed from the adoucisseur. I have recently cleaned the tap filters, took them off , placed overnight in vinegar and lo and behold good as new the next morning. My immersion has recently had to have the thermostat changed but other than that it is still under guarantee for another 6 months at least. And buying a new one (the one you mentioned sounds expensive!) would cover the cost of servicing the softener. I'll check it out and many thanks for your info.

tuppence

Sweet 17 I have just used vinegar to rejuvenate a trio of groupes de securité as I had no lemon juice, yes it works just as well if not better.

Tuppence, the Pacific ballons are a bit cher at environ €500 but only to be considered if and when yours expires, how quickly, and what the plombiers labour charges are.

Archived