Complete France Forum

What is the difference between wood kitchens?

WJT

Probably a stupid question but I don't know how to tell the difference between solid wood kitchen units. I have no idea of price so I am bracing myself for a shock.

I have an appointment with Authur Bonnet tomorrow and I just had a look at Leroy Merlin's site and it appears they have solid oak kitchens but I suspect there will be a huge difference in price. Can anyone tell me why a solid oak kitchen can be so much more inferior to another solid oak kitchen?[8-)]

By the way, I may be sourcing the worktops separately so that won't be an issue for me.

Some solid wood kitchens mean everything is solid wood, others (most) mean just the doors and draw fronts.

Given that Ikea now give a 25 year guarantee on their coated chipboard bodies, unless you demand a special finish, I see nothing wrong in principle with this material.  There are however different qualities - very different. 

Some will be genuinely bespoke, some will not have nasty plastic legs behind Plinths, some will be rigid carsasse, some will be flat pack, wall thicknesses of cabinets vary, fielded door panels may be solid in some and veneer ply in others, some will be biscuit jointed, some dowelled...the list is literally endless.....

What makes a good value kitchen?

To my mind I think it's worth spending the body of the money on good quality worksurfaces, appliances and fronts. The cabinets Can often be sourced from the likes of Howdens or Magnets here (I guess Leroy M in France) the trick is to marry the elements so that the appearance is balanced and everything works well (Worth spending some money on decent drawers.....ahem)

In a conventional kitchen the eye is drawn round the room by the worksurfaces and wall finishes. The brain quickly registers good appliances and touch will often help decide whether the worksurfaces are good. This all happens quite quickly, then we start to play with things, the sink tap is often the first then drawer and door mechanisms under cabinet lights. etc....... Then practicality sets in how big is the fridge space will a freezer fit how many sockets how much dry storage.etc...

Goes without saying a good quality cooker (Even if it's not staying) does sell a kitchen.

Thank you both for the replies and advice.  I am just starting to look so it does help a lot. Big Mac, I will definitely focus on the appliances and worktops. However, my budget won't allow for a top of the line cooker/range so I am hoping that something along the line of a Britannia or similar will do. But I definitely want granite or marble worktops if possible.

Coralin or Butchers block can be good alternatives as can a combination of materials (Even polished concrete!) I am not suggesting top flight appliances simply good quality. I for instance like Siemens and Bosch good value and generally robust. As for cookers our current one is a  Technik...cheap but pretty

Archived