Complete France Forum

Equestrian areas

Hi, looking for some help.

My wife and I have reached that classic crossroads, son off to Uni next year etc, etc. We already own an apartment in the Alps so we are not completely new to this but this is the first time we have considered a permanent move

She is a keen rider and completes at local events but now needs to buy a second horse & given the cost of property in the UK, (we currently live n the Cotswolds) & the fact she may be made redundant, we may sell up and relocate on a permanent basis. The question is where? The criteria for our ideal area are

-rural but with plenty of local events/shows etc.

-near enough to an airport or port as I am likely to have to commute, I run my own consultancy and will have to be in the UK 3/4 days per week

-attractive to tourists as she would probably run a gite or something similar to create an income

-I'm sorry this may sound a bit naff but we would like some people nearby who have already made the move, our French isn't bad but this is a big step and it would be nice if there was someone who could introduce us to the nuances of the local clubs, suppliers etc.

In the searches I have done so far Normandy comes up regularly and we both love the Normandy/Brittany area but any suggestions/advice regarding the main areas for equestrian activity in France would be great.

Many thanks

Mike

Hello

Whilst I do ride I'm not into competitions but I understand from others they can be a bit scant over here.  The area you mentioned has more Brits who have similar interests apparently  so I think Normandy/Brittany is a good choice.

Have you checked out http://www.equineonline.net/equestrianclassifieds/index.php?a=5&b=291 some lovely properties on here.

Panda

Hoverfrog has beaten me to it! Arnac-Pompadour is the home of the Anglo-Arab stud in France and has one of the most beautiful hippodromes in Europe (not my words). There are three day events, cross country, show jumping, racing and trotting going on for at least 8 months of the year.

Limoges airport (Ryanair and Flybe) is about 1 hour away to the north; Brive and its new airport being built about 3/4 hour to the south (that's to the airport, Brive is about 25 minutes). The A.20 makes driving easy from the ports. A popular area for tourism with loads to do and places to see, and near to the grottos and caves of the Dordogne too.

Have I said enough?[:D]

This is a great area.  Lots of horses and a big international indoor arena near Le Mans. 

http://www.boulerie-jump.com/

The nearest airport with regular flights (summer and winter) is Tours - about an hour on the m/way.  4 hours by road to Calais and 2 to Caen and Le Harvre.  Also good TGV rail links to Paris - for Eurostar or both major airports. Which also leads me on to think maybe the Saumur area (better for the tourism aspect) would be a good one - a lot of competition available round there too.

Your gite would be oversubscribed during 24-hour week round here!!

Here's the FFE website -  full of good info

http://www.ffe.com/

PS I have horses.  Although not competitve these days, I have a farmer friend whose daughter competes regularly (also English) nearby.

Thanks everyone, really useful information. I've started ploughing through websites etc. but can now focus a bit more. Its still early days but as we are driving out to the Alps in December we may take an extra couple of days and have a look at a couple of properties.

I'll let you know how we get on! 

Archived