Complete France Forum

rebuilding old sheds

We have a couple of large sheds that back on to each other. One is made from rotting chestnut boards and the other from galvanised (in the past) corrugated sheet on the walls and roof. The timber building has a tiled roof.

These were part of a small farm and I believe the the larger was used for sheep or similar as the head room is on average about 1.7m, quite low. Both have earth floors.

The steel sheet building is in very poor condition and is very visible from the public road, it's also very rusty. The dimensions are about 10 x 8m for the sheet building and about 6 x 5m for the timber one. They stand independantly away from our house.

Although they are joined it is obvious they were built at separate times and look like chalk and cheese.

So the question is - we want to make them into one building all in the same material (timber clad to look the same as the current timber building) with a concrete floor and perhaps the internal height of the timber building (about 2.1m headroom). We also want to keep the same footprint just about with the same or slightly less floor area. As they are outbuildings used for garden equipment etc is it required to ask for some form of planning permission or because we are repairing existing buildings do we just go ahead and repair/replace?

The property is not in the village and our nearest neighbours are 90m one way and around 800m the other, any improvement will enhance the look of the property (and the area) and will not affect either neighbour as the buildings are not visible from their properties.

We are in the Allier if this makes any difference at all.

Thanks

Thanks to you both, I was hoping that maybe someone else had done this already or there would have been a definative answer to rebuilding an existing outbuilding. And although I know that we have to go to the Mairie at some point I prefer going knowing as much as possible before hand as with only poor French every little bit helps.

[quote user="friend of stouby"]

Thanks to you both, I was hoping that maybe someone else had done this already or there would have been a definative answer to rebuilding an existing outbuilding. And although I know that we have to go to the Mairie at some point I prefer going knowing as much as possible before hand as with only poor French every little bit helps.

[/quote]

OK, definitive answer; yes, you need planning permission! Ask in the Mairie!!

There are likely a mutitude of regulations Jamie and the French will be able to interpret them in a multitude of ways. I think what Nick is saying is that rather than guess it's easier just to have a quite chat with the Maire and they will likely point you in what they believe to be right direction.

They may just say get on with it..

Any outbuilding with a footprint of over 2 sq m needs permission.

Any external changes to an existing building that is subject to permission, needs permission.

Ergo your project needs permission.  Not difficult and unless in a sensitive area or a project for something totally out of character, not often refused.

Odd as our sheep shed  (3 m x  4m) backs onto the road and I waanted to change sheet tin roofing from rusted old corrugated Iron to plastisol coated steel. Maire not in the slightest interested other than a thanks for asking.

Yet they were funny about changing the colour of the front of the house.....

Archived