Complete France Forum

Flashing light

JohnRoss

Interesting fault in that a 9W high efficiency bulb which we keep on in the hall so visitors can find the loo at night has started flashing when it is turned off. The circuit has a switch with an incorporated neon which is wired across the switch and lights up when the switch is in the off position, return path through the lamp it controls, so you can find it in the dark. When the switch is on the neon is shorted out. What I think is happening is that the high efficiency neon filled lamp is effectively in series with this indicator neon and ionises at regular intervals giving the brief flash. I assume the current through the neon indicator is not sufficient to keep the 9W going and so it goes out and the process starts again. I don't know if this is in any way dangerous but I assume that disconnecting the neon in the switch would be one solution. Has anyone else had this?..................................................JR 

Ok Nick and thanks for both replies. I don't think it is a fault with the lamp either as I tried a couple of spares and they were the same. If I fitted an ordinary filament bulb it does not do it as the impedance of the ordinary bulb must be much lower than the neon high efficiency lamp except when it strikes I guess. As these type of switches are common and neon high efficiency bulbs are becoming so you would think that lots of folks would have noticed this effect. Another circuit with a different arrangement and where the lamp is not visible from the switch i.e. where the switch neon only comes on when the light is on and not off, wired between the lamp side of the switch and neutral I guess, also tend to glow when the light is switched off if using a high efficiency lamp but not a filament type. Could this be leakage across the switch do you think or some sort of induction? Ain't technology wonderful!...................JR

hi ok

I read something a few months ago about low wattage lighting and 2 way switches , but cannot find it on the net now ... It went on about low wattage lights glowing dim when fitted with 2 way light switches ....... Nick  back to you on this

Dave

Still comes down to the neon, I'm afraid. I'm having this conversation with John on TF, too....

Dave, a 2-way circuit isn't that different from a single circuit (in this respect at least) and specifically they won't cause this problem with a CFL. I must have installed 100's of CFLs on 2-way switch circuits. Unless there are neons in the switches.

Yes I have come across it once before, the starting circuit in the compact flourescent ballast uses a capacitor, this is very slowly charged by the small current passing through the neon until it discharges to neutral via the pre-heat coil. Then the cycle repeats.

I think Nick and JR's are right about the neon providing a charging path for some capacitor and the time constant of the neon and its series resistor plus any resistance in the CFL must determine the flash rate which in our case is once every 3 or 4 seconds........................JohnRoss

PS Not sure of the circuit of a CFL but it must have diodes in it to charge a capacitor with d.c. to give this time constant and resulting critical trigger voltage. I would be interested in looking at the cicuit of one if anyone can give an URL

PPS A note in the local paper saying that from today you cannot get ordinary bulbs of 100W or greater only CFL types from now on in France, big brother or what, thought the intention is good.

Our paper, The Nouvelle République, says more than or equal to 100W now, more than 75W by the end of the year, 60W by June 2010, 40W by 31st August 2011 and 25W by 31st December 2012 and maybe we both are!.................JR

Archived