Complete France Forum

EDF Meter in Garage

Benjamin

We have an EDF box on the road boundary of our house where the EDF meter reader takes their twice yearly readings. We also have another meter in the garage which shows our consumption (HP & HC) and various other bits of technical information.

The one in the garage has just started seriously under recording. I can hear you all saying lucky b*st*rd but I like to get things as correct as possible.

The question is whose meter is it. Do I contact the electrician or is it EDF's bit of kit and I ring them?

it's there to give an indication of usage

AS do most meters!

The kit in the garage is the meter, that's why its protected by EdF seals. The blob on the box by the gate is simply a means of remotely accessing the kit inside. Our box by the gate contains no metering equipment just the reading point and a big fuse connector.

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

it's there to give an indication of usage

AS do most meters!

The kit in the garage is the meter, that's why its protected by EdF seals. The blob on the box by the gate is simply a means of remotely accessing the kit inside. Our box by the gate contains no metering equipment just the reading point and a big fuse connector.

[/quote]

Not on mine.

There will only be one EDF meter, if it is in the garage then the unit outside is as described above and called the "borne de telereportage" it will only report what the meter inside is reading.

Personally I would be in no hurry to report an under-reading compteur.

[quote user="tonyv"]I'm rather intrigued to know why you think it's under-recording. These things are usually pretty reliable.

[/quote]

We are an all electric house so, normally about halfway through the two month period, I have a look at the meter to see how we're doing. Towards the end of July (four weeks after an EDF actual reading) I had a look at the meter and thought the consumption was a bit low, nothing excessive but I'd take another look a few days later.

Over the next 12 day period the consumption was 4 units of HP and 4 units of HC which just cannot be right as we have dishwasher, two fridges, two small freezers, hot water plus lighting and TV etc. By anyone's reckoning that's low.

However earlier this morning I phoned EDF and explained the situation. When are you next due to submit a reading? I was asked. Well I just got your email reminder so sometime in the next 10 days.

Let us know if it still looks low when the invoice is produced.

Who am I to argue? so I'll just leave it until then and enjoy a bit of free electricity.

Archived