Complete France Forum

hot lime

Dave&Olive

hi ok

I want to paint the inside of an old barn with  a hot lime mix i.e. slake some lime and paint it on when still hot ,back in the U.K. we used to use an old   WW 2  stirrup  hand pump  , I have tried it will a paint brush but it takes an age , anyone got a sugestion what to use buy over here .. ??

Dave

That was my first thought J.R. but with the amount of caustic in the hot solution it may well eat it away and you will create a lot of nasty vapour that you wouldn't with a stirrup pump.

All very intriguing, hope OP comes back soon, want to know more??????

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]Dave

Why do you want to do that? Is there some secret advantage in hot application? [8-)]

[/quote]

hi ok

in a nutshell   yes   ... you can cover the wall in one coat,  not several if you was using a cold lime wash from say lime putty .

It`s white when it goes on not clear , the chemical process bonds the lime to the stone and it will  disinfect the wall from any nasties,  as used by farmers in the UK to paint their cow sheds ( shippens ) when I was a lad 

Dave

ps    it`s for the new chicken coop that used to be a pig sty

yeh but no but yeh but......

If it is still hot, the reaction is still going on therefore quicklime will still be present. After the converstion and the cooling slaked lime will be (should be) all that remains

From my understanding of the process.[geek]

If it is hot, it is usually because the heat of reaction has not been able to disipate.  Any reaction that creates so much heat (exothermic) is usually fairly instantaneous, heat disipation however is not, so the mix heats up - and stays hot even though reaction is complete.

Think of it like a kettle.  It heats up, it boils, the thermostat switches the kettle off, but the water is still hot.

Archived