Complete France Forum

Pressure Cleaners

Gardian

I've had a 110 bar Karcher for about 8 yrs (bought in the UK for around £120), which seems to have suffered a terminal pump motor problem.

I've trawled the internet for 'what's available' and found that Leroy Merlin has a 'rate this product' section: none of the Karcher reviews were complimentary! Pumps conking out after 2 yrs or so.

Although I'm less than ecstatic about having to buy a new one, it is 8 yrs and I do use it quite a bit. Does anyone have any views on the current range and any thoughts on the Black & Decker or Ryobi models?

I did a few years with BQ before I finally finished work for good.

Most Pressure Washers last quite a long time because they spend most of the year stored away but from observing the ones that came back to the Warehouse Store the failure rate is high across all the brands. About two in ten came back within the year  but some were con's getting free "hire" and then a full refund after they had served there purpose

Karcher seem slightly better than most. The top end of the range seem much more robust and reliable. Karcher owners seem loyal to the brand

All benefit from intermittent use in 1 or 2 minutes bursts. The dirt buster attachment with the spinning tip is well worth the cost, using a lot less water and will strip paint off surfaces

It increases velocity at the nozzle 10 fold without needing higher pressures

Use good quality detergent and leave the detergent nozzle in a container drawing just water when detergent is not needed. This stops drawing air and causing cavitation in the pump.

Switch off as soon as you stop using it for more than a few minutes. Never leave it on, with it trying to auto-start

If you are using it a few times a year, go for the cheapest and reckon on it lasting 3 to 5 years anything over will be a bonus

Regards

Joshua

Joshua ..........

Thanks for your input on this - sorry for not replying sooner.

I went to Brico-Depot, but they had no stock of most of the lines + I find the place a bit of a madhouse.

Went on to LM and there was a good range of stock, all properly displayed. Ended up buying their 'own brand' Sterwins 130 bar m/c, which works fine. I guess that all of them will initially and the proof of the pudden will be in how long the thing lasts!

I have taken our pressure washer back to the UK. There seemed little point in having it once I discovered I could comnnect  a lance straight to the garden hose and get fairly decent results.

(Our water pressure is pretty good over there, as in bathroom basin tap will wet the ceiling if  you turn it on full bore)

I am a bit concerned as the commune have just replaced all the water meters and having looked at the installation I can see that the connections are all by virtue of  braided 'Flexi' type pipes a-la  DIY tap connectors. We shall see.

Archived