Complete France Forum

Adjoining buildings

BIG MAC

Currently our house is arranged as three buildings arranged in an 'L' shape and all comnnected

The two legs of the L are formed by the main house and what we call the woodshed/ Byre

The corner of the L is a Hangar which has a ridge in line with the main house and adjoins the woodshed/ byre on its flank wall with the roof  abutting the gable ends of the woodshed/byre and forming a half valley.

Is there any legal or tax advantage to having the buildings all adjoined?

I have heard that currently if I wanted to convert any of the outbuildings to domestic use then permission would be easier to obtain because they are connected where as if I disconnect them they may be regarded purely as Farm buildings for evermore?

The reason I ask is that the inside of the L is a little garage sitting under the overhanging hangar roof which was extended in years gone by. I would like to take this away to create a cobbled lane through to my back garden then fill in the hangar wall in bockwork to create a big workshop with an internal door into the house (No more getting wet and muddy getting logs from the shed)

My understanding is that if the house and barn are not connected planning permission for the barn is more difficult to acquire, but not impossible. Would it be an option to get planning permission and then separate the properties? Does planning permission stay 'live' for a number of years as in the UK?[8-)]

Archived