Complete France Forum

Multi-strand cable in gaine.

Chancer

As part of my enforced economy drive (often false economy) I decided to buy rolls of single core cable in the UK to pull into gaine ICTA as there was quite a saving over gaine préfilée.

Whilst threading a 100m roll this morning I realised that the UK single core cable is multi-strand flexible but the French gaine préfilée uses solid copper core.

I have done some reading and found that H O7-U àme rigid is to be used for sections of 1.5 to 4mm2 and H O7-R àme rigide câblée for sections of 4 to 16mm2 which doesnt look good for my 1.5 and 2.5mm2 wiring.

What confuses me is that H O7-K àme souple can be used for conductors from 0.75 to 95mm2.

Can anyone clear up my confusion between àme rigid cablée and àme souple and or confirm whether this is likely to be picked up on during the Consuel inspection.

Many thanks

Its bloomin small print so I needed my glasses!

Comité National pour la Sécurité des Usageurs de l'Electricité

You pay them €90 or so and they come and inspect your (usually) recently completed installation for a locaux d'habitation, if there are no non conformités then they will issue an attestation.  Minor non conformités you correct yourself and inform them in writing, they reserve the right to visit to check, more serious ones like earthing etc require a retest.

EDF will not connect a supply without a Consuel attestation.

Now does anyone know about âme rigid and âme souple? [:D]

• 2 weeks later...
Yes; âme rigid (H07V-R) is multi-stranded, but with rigid strands - âme souple (H07V-K) has more, finer, strands & is more like flex (& is more expensive). The information you have seen is the norme for what is available in France.

One very good reason not to use H07V-R or K for installations is that it isn't compatible with the modern push fit connections (bournes de conexion rapide/automatique) now being used by all the quality accessory manufacturers. I for one don't miss the need to fiddle with unreliable screw termnals that much any more, & the time they save is marvellous.

Thankyou Badger you have confirmed what I thought.

I am still unsure whether H07V-R is acceptable or not for Consuel, you have given a good reason for it not to be, the only reference that I found was a Leroy Merlin site that said it was acceptable but I am always cautious of the advice of a seller! I will try to find the site and post a link.

editted.

Et ben voila! http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonecatalogue&zonetmp=zoneimpressionsl&idEIPub=1098686562&06-impression-render=off&backurl=ei

Can I trust this or will my use of H07V-R be refused by Consuel assuming that he is wearing his specs!, the only place I have used puh connectors to date has been DCL sockets.

Well, I'm not sure of my facts here, as I've left my books in France, but as no-one else has expressed these sentiments, here goes:

I'm pretty certain consuel's OK with multi-strand; there's no reason why not, but don't use it on push connectors.

However, I'm also pretty sure you're NOT OK with UK-sourced cable; unless it's marked NF, they won't like it. That said, they're unlikely to investigate the cable, unless they have reason to. As far as Consuel goes, personally, I'd go for it.

Now, imagine you have a fire, whether electrical or not, and your insurers discover non NF cable. Woo, field day, and no pay-out.

Sorry, but I think you've applied a false economy...

Thanks for your candidness Tony. I understand and agree with your comments.

The cable is compliant to the EN normes, actually I should specify here that I am talking about fils multibrins not cable but I am sure that you realised that, happily neither the NF nor the UK cable manufacturers have yet managed to print markings on 1.5 and 2.5 section fils.

Short of a forensic analysis of the cables there would be know way of knowing and whilst I agree that French insurers will try everything to wriggle out of a claim they would eventually back down on the above scenario.

In any case they would be smokescreened by all my non NF marked 15mm copper plumbing [;-)] It has the same EN1058 number as the French pipes and is one of the recomended sizes in the European Norme

Archived