Complete France Forum

Reducing the Depth of Limestone Flagstones?

Rich1972

I've got about 50 pieces of an old flagstone floor that I want to put down in the sitting room. They are of assorted sizes, from 6'' by 6'' all the way up to 24'' by 24''. They are irregular shapes. The real problem is that they are too thick to go down on the floor, being on average about 4 inches deep. I need to get that down to 2 inches at the most. Is there any method I can use to cut the backs off them? Or do I need to take them in somewhere? Any advice please!

[:)]

Concrete shouldn't be too bad - Big Dave and I lowered the concrete floor in my current house - it turned out to be 24 inches thick with pebbles and reinforcement. We ended up hiring one of those air hammers they use on the roads - even Big Dave was sweating. It was only about ten tonnes or so.

[quote user="Rich1972"]I've got about 50 pieces of an old flagstone floor that I want to put down in the sitting room. They are of assorted sizes, from 6'' by 6'' all the way up to 24'' by 24''. They are irregular shapes. The real problem is that they are too thick to go down on the floor, being on average about 4 inches deep. I need to get that down to 2 inches at the most. Is there any method I can use to cut the backs off them? Or do I need to take them in somewhere? Any advice please!

[:)]
[/quote]

A monumental mason would be best, the cost may be prohibitive though.

[quote user="sweet 17"]You said they were an "average of 4 inches deep".  I don't think varying thickness in flagstones is a good idea.  Would be difficult to lay them level, don't you imagine?[/quote]

Well the idea was to make them a uniform thickness. They were originally laid directly onto clay!

Anyway, thanks for the replies and suggstions. I'm going to have to reconsider. It's a shame as although they are irregular in shape they have a lovely patina from years of wear and use.

This is a similar question which I'll ask now instead of starting a new thread:

Down the other end of the house, where concrete isn't an issue, I'm planning on relaying about 20 limestone flagstones. These are a totally different kettle of fish to the other ones. They are about 40 centimetres by 100 centimetres, up to 5 inches deep and weight an absolute ton! Has anyone had any experience of laying this type of thing? What do I use for mortar, how do I even position them without breaking my back? Is it just a case of getting some muscle in?

[quote user="woolybanana"]They may be that thick to stop rising water[/quote]

Possibly. They were originally laid directly onto the clay subsoil. The real problem with all of these things is moving them around. One of the flagstones is 4ft by 2ft and 5 inches deep. My back aches just thinking about it [:'(]

Archived