Complete France Forum

An electrical query

maude

we have recently had problems with the supply to our water heater,in that the connectors to the thermostat have burned away.It is a steatite model,with the element in a tube within the cylinder.I have removed the element,cleaned out all the debris/dust from the tube,and gently cleaned the elements of dust.It is connected to a disjoncteur via a time clock.On two occasions the terminal joints to the thermostat have burned away but mainly on the neutral.Anyone any usefull ideas as to the cause and or remedy.Thanks-Maude

The usual cause is the terminals not being sufficiently tightened which creates a high resistance and arcing, they really do need to be tight and you should double check, I was converting 3 chauff eaus from vertical to horizontal yesterday, I know to really tighten terminals unlike a lot of bricoleurs yet when I did my final double check I found that one of the wires had come loose whilst I was manipulating the sond and the thermostat.

Thanks for the input which is what was suspected.However I didnt get any more torque on the connections but cleaned them all and re made them.Last night was noproblem-lets hope this is solved.Thanks for the advice,

maude

• 1 month later...

Archived