Complete France Forum

Well pump & tank to supply my house

andysparks

Worst case scenarios filling swimming pool and watering lawn for two hours for the pump. But maybe the recharge rate for the well would not be sufficient for continuous duty.

The extra cost for 20 litre vis à vis 50 litre is the pressure vessel, the pump characteristics will be similar.

Is their anyone out there who has actually registered their well for domestic use and can therefore say what it will cost: this is, after all, simply another method of parting the poor public from their money. A rather mean-spirited one too, in my view.

I'd be interested to know.

I also can't see it very likely that the farmers round here will trample me underfoot in the rush to declare the wells which they use to water the stock (and possibly the odd bucket or two on their potatoes).

I imagine the thinking would go something along the lines of;  it's my well on my land on which I pay taxe. The government didn't contribute anything to the cost of sinking the damn thing, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to use my collected rainwater.

But that's only round here. perhaps others view it differently (!)

p

I also wonder how deep BigMac would have to sink his h-u-g-e plastic rainwater butt before it became a well, within the meaning of the act!

[quote user="gyn_paul"]how would the Mairie (or other authority) go about metering my use of the well if I continue to water my veg patch using my (t)rusty old bucket?[/quote]

I can foresee no problem regarding your existing and intended future use of the water from the well. The well will have to be sealed and an approved water meter installed followed by the usual reglementary controls including the calibration and placing of a lead seal on the meter; all at your expense.[:)] I can see no problem when all work has been satisfactorily completed filling your faithful bucket in your habitual manner.[:D]

The surface mounting pumps are efficient and powerful - the range in Brico Depot start from about 90E from memory, and looking at the spec on the boxes, the entire range seems to have the same size motor which will raise to a height of about 15m, so practically if your water table isn't too far below ground level, and you're not planning to run it higher than 1st floor you should get a good flow. The average static head is 3 - 4 bar. Two points though..

1/ they are NOT self priming, so you would have to fit a non-return valve in the foot of the feed pipe (they are also a bit of a fag to prime, but you only have to do it once - in theory at least).

2/ they are noisy. You certainly wouldn't want to mount it near you neighbours.

The submersible pumps are virtually silent, but you would need additionally a pressure switch, and some sort of pressure vessel to iron out the flow.

p

A Frenchman on the TV tonight said (a propos mining sandstone under Paris), "In France, you own everything beneath you property right to the centre of the earth".

How odd then that you're not free to do as you like with the water which falls on it!

I understand there is some talk of re-introducing a window tax, and a revenue on the sunlight which falls on your property.

p

Thankfully I own the larvae in my below ground Larvae farm......It's a real pain getting the larvae out so we need to pump the water out and then put it in our soon be patented Larvae sorter.  We couldn't find a generic term for it so we are thinking 'Larvaetory' may be a good working title. We check the water from the holding tank by passing it through the Larvaetory bowl with any substandard or contaminated batches being replaced with new by the operation of a clever lever mechanism.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Thankfully I own the larvae in my below ground Larvae farm......It's a real pain getting the larvae out so we need to pump the water out and then put it in our soon be patented Larvae sorter.  We couldn't find a generic term for it so we are thinking 'Larvaetory' may be a good working title. We check the water from the holding tank by passing it through the Larvaetory bowl with any substandard or contaminated batches being replaced with new by the operation of a clever lever mechanism.[/quote]

Love it !

My own problem is not dissimilar; we have this hole in the front garden which - unacountably - keeps filling with water, every time it rains. Despite taking buckets of water out of it, it still seems to fill up. I am so worried that it will eventually overflow (and flood my neighbour's house) that I - purely as an altruistic service to the community, and at my own expense - pump water out of it and into the ditch. Unfortunately, I've discovered the nearest bit of ditch doesn't drain very well and tends to make everywhere muddy (the banks are frequently used by the locals as a passing point and tend to collapse), so the only course open to me is to introduce the water much lower down our property. Fortunately there is a pipe already discharging into the ditch, additionally there seems to be some sort of square sand bed, or 'filter' into which I can put the water, this will help to regulate the flow. This is quite some distance from the hole in the ground, and the pump pressure is consequently rather low, so I'm looking for a place nearer - or possibly inside - the house where this excess water can be diverted to. One thought I had was to connect it to a porcelain tank-arrangement which I find occupying one of the small rooms in the house. Happily, this tank-thingy seems in turn to be connected to the sand bed-thingy; Which is all really rather fortunate! That way, rather than having to have the pump running constantly, I could release the water in small quantities several times a day

What do you think of this as a plan?

p

The establishment of the Service Unifié d'Assainissement pursuant to the adoption of Article 57 ter in the recent Grenelle II debates will in the future add a little "technical plus" to the meanderings of your local SPANC service.[:D]

http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/13/pdf/amendements/2449/244900089.pdf

Les dispositions de l’article L. 2224-12-5 relatives au calcul de

la redevance d’assainissement due par les usagers sont applicables aux prélèvements d’eau sur des

sources autres que le réseau de distribution à l’origine de rejets à l’installation d’assainissement

non-collectif.[:P]

la redevance d’assainissement due par les usagers sont applicables aux prélèvements d’eau sur des

sources autres que le réseau de distribution à l’origine de rejets à l’installation d’assainissement

non-collectif.

I translate into simple english.......The charge for waste sewage water paid by users are applicable to all quantities of water from sources other than the connection to the water supply main connection and subsequently rejected to a non -collective treatment installation.

Some mischevious persons like [:D][:P]...regard this as an invitation to the local gestapo to scour rural france in a quest for people pulling water from their wells and allowing the water to gravitate to their filter treatment facility....a juicy commission will be paid to reward such additions to public revenue.....and not least of all the SUA will be their to provide professional well capping and meter consumption installation services to ensure that one pays the correct "redevance".[;-)]

I sometimes wonder why I am breaking my neck trying to make a pile of old stones into a house shaped pile of stones with a (slightly leaky) top on it.

Are they going to try and charge me for the rainwater soaking up my placo & into the ground next?

Seriously though. When you stand back and look at it dispassionately (or try to) this really is the most appalling piece of bare-faced cheek.

If you had a piece of land large enough you could find youself in a situation whereby water which fell entirely on your land, drained solely into your well, was pumped into your house, (or pumped onto your veg garden) then passing into your septic system, draining back onto your land, and (ultimately) into your well again - an entirely closed loop system -  was the subject of a financial charge levied by a body which provides you with no service or product, nor does it suffer any loss from your use of the rainwater.

We will literally be being charged for the rain which falls on our land !

You know how some things just offend against one's sense of natural justice.?........ THIS IS ONE OF THEM !

p

Archived