Complete France Forum

Connecting mains water pipe to distributor (nourrice)

oldgit72

Due to a piece of bad planning on my part, the black 25mm pipe entering the house is in the wrong place to connect to where I need to position the nourrice. To get access to the nourrice, it needs to be positioned at a right angle (+/- about 5 degrees) and 50cm to the mains pipe entering the house. Should I use a right angled compression fitting and add another section of 25mm pipe to join to the nourrice (this may need to be bent slightly to get a straight fit to both ends) or are those flexible pipe connectors used in bathrooms available in bigger sizes and suitable to do the job? Thanks

There are short 21/27 (or 2/3" in old money) flexibles in the bricos in a mixture of sexes to suit your needs. They are of a fairly generous bore, which should get you out of a hole. I take it the nourrice is fixed and/or has immovable copper pipes attached?

This might be your best solution; I've found the 25mm black plastic water pipe to be remarkably obstinate in short lengths (I've saddled myself with the problem of connecting together a pair of the damned things sticking up out of a concrete floor where they are virtually touching each other: not easy!) and the brass right-angle connectors are not keen to form a water-tight seal - no matter how much you screw them tight - if the pipe isn't presented ABSOLUTELY straight on, indeed they are a buggar to even get the threads started.

If space/access isn't a problem then you'll find the big plastic right-angle connectors are a little more accomodating. Lubricate the pipe and the rubber 'O'-ring before insertion.  

p

Thanks, The nourrice isn't fixed but to get future access it needs to be positioned at right angles or thereabouts to where the 25mm pipe enters the house (mrs OG wouln't bee happy if I had to take the kitchen apart if/when we get a leak). I've seen the 21x27 flexi pipe advertised in Brico Depot but wasn't sure of the bore size. Didn't want to reduce bore size too much as I am not sure of the effect on water pressure if I do so.

I personally would not use on of those flexibles for the incoming feed, I cant really justify why, its more of a gut feeling and how daft I would look if the pompiers had to pump out my cellar and saw what I had used.

If you have ano ld one of these cut it apart and you will see that inside it is very thin rubber that can only take the incoming pressure if the braid is wholly intact, in fact I doubt that they are rated for 6 bar but should probably be used after a detendeur.

I had one rupture amongst many other burst pipes two winters ago, before that I naively thought that they had a tough nylon inner like an aeroquip braided hose, it had managed to split without the outer braid being damaged.

I will be up against the same problems of access and non yeilding PE pipes and dodgy fittings very soon for the same job.

If you do find some stronger higher pressure rated hoses do let me know.

Thanks for the warning although I will be fitting a pressure reducer before the need for flexi pipe that will take it down from 6 to 3 bar. As this is the pressure that will be in any flexi pipes after the nourrice (toilet,sink etc) I would think that they are rated for 3 bar. Anyhow, I've decided to go with the right angle compression joint with some sealing compound added for extra security and see what happens!!.

Archived