Complete France Forum

Calling all Electricians

La Guerriere

Mmm.......... Betcha he was a doasyoulikey, sorry, member of the travellers community.

One met his maker near my place in the UK whilst trying to slash the tyres on an HGV, I suppose at 12 years of age he would not have known the pressure to which they were inflated, nor will he ever now.

The driver who was having breakfast in a transport cafe was traumatised not by the death but by the price of a new tyre and reckoned it was Darwins theory of natural selection in play.

Last week EDF contractors dug up in front of my house to splice into a 20kv cable in order to remove a substation over the road from the grid, the cable was not where they expected it to be, in fact there were loads there intertwined with PTT ones in IRL, I am glad that they were at the regulation depth and had the grillage avertisseur as they were right beneath where I had put dug the haunchings for my car park bordures.

I used to install electric gates and had the contract to do several electricity grid substations, some of the guys used to love unnerving me while I was digging in the posts etc with tales of departed colleaugues that had put a pickaxe into a 20kv cable, they said the black smouldering figure although killed instantly ran off down the road at 60mph like a headless chicken.

Dont know whether it was true or just a wind up (which worked) but I dont want to find out the hard way.

Interestingly EDF left the cables uncovered overnight with just a little barrier diverting the public footpath, the hole was not 25 yards from the bar from which  people stagger home late at night.

Archived