Complete France Forum

A Tap question.

Bugsy

I'm in the process of replacing the sink and mixer tap in our kitchen.

The tap has two threaded holes for hot and cold about two inches inside the main tap body and the supplied pipes are braided steel with a male threaded end with two 'O' rings.

My question is, as the holes in the tap are some way inside the tap body, is it OK to just screw them in tightly by hand, or is there a special tool for tightening them.

Also, are they fitted dry or lubricated in some way?

Thanks, I'm no plumber

Sounds as though they have done away with the traditional soft copper tails. If so then I should imagine getting a grip to tighten will be awkward depends whether the pipe ferrule sticks out far enough to be gripped using grips and a piece of leather to nip up (Not overtight)

'O' rings a bit of spit  (yuk)or water ....not soap or grease, just sufficient to allow the connection to be made and the rubber/nylon compressed without squeezing out or tearing.

Fitted something similar recently and the lower part of the tap body was removable to allow the tightening of the pipes (on that one) it relied on the "O" ring for a seal. the usual 5mm threaded stud held the whole thing together and in place.

Thanks to both of you. this one doesn't come apart and, having examined it closely, there is no room for any spanner/special tool etc.

I'll get the wife to spit on them, she's much better at that than me.[Www][:D]

Theiere is correct if memory serves I think I have seen a removeable escutcheon to allow tails to be fitted. Have you checked the box...maybe a couple of distance pieces you have missed? Failing that who is the manufacturer and I shall try to find out?

Archived