Complete France Forum

Flashing - lead or zinc?

lh

We'll be out in France again in September to work on the next part of our roof. This contains the chimney, and will need flashing. Zinc seems to be the norm in France. Is there any reason not to use lead?? What are the pro's and con's of each?

It also has to do with the fact that french people don't usually use lead in the roofing construction (may be lead mines had a stronger concentration of zinc in France compared to UK mines and the fact that lead is heavier than Zinc to transport from the smelter). Lead is used extensively in city centres covering the floor of small balconeys in old buildings. Zinc is used for covering table tops and old fashion type bars (hence in France the word for Bar in a cafe is "Zinc" pronounce Zaing). With a melting point of 327c even the hottest summer would still be ok for lead flashing and i would personally use it blind folded if i could find a source of supply in France (it has to be pacivated with acid immediately after fitting unless you buy a band of self-adhesive flashing ready to use). Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply eric - sounds as if we'll be okay with lead, which we can bring out with us from the UK, though can you explain what you mean by 'pactivated with acid'. OH used lead on our current house in the UK and I don't remember him treating it in any way.

How far do they go when testing for the presence of lead when you come to sell? Can't imagine it's too much of a risk from kids chewing the stuff when it's on the roof but you know what red tape can be like. I was told not to use it, for that reason, when dressing some joints around window frames. But maybe that explains why it's not in common use.

Reassuring to see the forum misinformation society still progresses..........

http://www.leplombfrancais.fr/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

My (admittedly old 2005) Brico Depot catalogue lists two types of lead flashing:100 m.m. and 160 m.m.: parts numbers 915310 and 915311, respectively.

Scotch mist probably.

[blink]

BTW: lead only requires Passivation (Acid Treatment), for specific engineering usage and when used in mainly electrical environments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passivation

New bright lead, can be treated to create a synthetic Patination (Aged Effect). As Theiere has already commented.

The main core differences between Lead and Zinc when used in building  are simply longevity: lead roofs on churches, cathedrals and etc, can be expected to last for 100 years: Zinc perhaps 25, since it is much more readily attacked by acid content in rain and free acids resulting from vehicle exhausts and general atmospheric pollution.

[quote user="Jo"]Use whichever one has the lowest re-sale value!!!!!!! The life expectancy of lead flashing on a roof here in the East Midlands is approx 20 mins after the workman have left!![:$]
[/quote]

A good point but zinc is worth more than zinc; however lead is more easily stolen and recycled with or without patination; carbonation of lead is not an important factor in the rural deux-sàvres. So once the zinc has been custom fitted to your chimney there aint much point in removing it. Caveat: I worked for several years for the St Joe International Lead Company involved in the production and marketing of lead, zinc and silver; I have NOT done a one day lead patination course though.

P.S. A small point but old lead often contains important silver content which can ameliorate the return on recycling.

Archived