Complete France Forum

where can I buy class IV wood beams for a timber deck

HoneySuckleDreams

to be more precise...

Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that does class iv treated 50mm x 200mm timber beams or thereabouts (50x195 or 50x220 would do, or even 44 or 47 wide) I think they are called Madriens here.

I've tried panofrance, asturienne, chausson, gedimat, bigmat....etc.etc.

The standard sizes seem to be 75 or 80 by 195. In my mind i'm buying more wood than I need, and I'm on a tight budget. The french seem to think the wider the better, whereas, IMO, it's the depth that matters. Bizarrely, they seem to sell the joist hangers (sabots I think) 50mm wide, but not the wood.

ta

I dont know what class iv treated is (UK spec perhaps?) but the closest that you will get here is a bastaing at 63 by 175 or a madrier at 75 by 225, some timber yards will offer to cut what you want but only from the above and at extra cost.

I totally agree with you about sizes, a chevron at 63 by 75mm is a poor substitute for a four by two yet uses the same amount of wood, it is supposed to be used for a rafter [:-))]

Good point about the sabots, I have some and have to cut my timbers for them!

....The french seem to think the wider the better, whereas, IMO, it's the depth that matters.... if you want a stronger beam quite right.....if you want to cover a roof with poplar or pine "volige" and then stick channel tiles on top, you will need the 60mm width or so to nail the ends down with two planks butting together.

• 5 weeks later...
Tight budget & class 4 treated timber aren't two terms that sit well together ;)

When I've needed specific sizes for an outdoor project I have my local timber yard pressure treat a batch for me, but you do need to be buying quite a large quantity of timber for it to be cost effective.

Or as suggested you'll just have to work with the sizes Brico depot sell to keep costs down.

good luck :)

Archived