Complete France Forum

rails and montants

sid

One of the well-known depots for brico stuff (hint!) advertises R48 rail, for example, at 3,20€ for a 3m length with "norme EN 14195", or a similar looking rail without the "norme" at 2,10€ for 3m.  That's a considerable price difference. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for the cheaper one? The same pricing differential applies to montants too.

I use the cheaper stuff and have no complaints about it at all, in fact the opposite, during the icy period last year I didnt want to tow my large box trailer, which is really to big for the car, very far to get a heavy load of placo and rails so I bought the placostil stuff locally.

Every time I use it I regret the decision, when I cut a rail to length I cut the two sides with my snips and bend it backwards and forwards to facture the third side, with the non NF stuff it only takes four or five load reversals to fracture, the NF stuff takes at least 20.

If I were making an airframe then I would use the NF rails and montants!

Oh the cheap stuff is easier on the wrists when you use une pince à sertir also.

Thanks. That suggests that the non-EN stuff is weaker and more susceptible to fatigue, but if there's no movement....!

I still keep hesitating about which to get.  [blink] The central part of  the new mansarded ceiling is 2.70m square and will have to be constructed with montants doubled back-to-back (no convenient support in the centre); naturally I don't want it to sag afterwards. [:-))]

I think I'm coming round to sticking with the EN stuff for piece of mind. [;-)]

Archived