Complete France Forum

Tiled shower tray.. ?

joidevie

Hi...

I was wondering about any views on building a 'built in' shower - perhaps using 'tomettes' or other 'absorbent' tiles..

Previously I have put in a ceramic 80x80cm shower tray and sealed the surrounding tavertine tiles with "MIGRASTOP" - an oily type sealant which worked great and totally sealed the unit.. No problems there..

For another project, would I want to buy one of these 'ready made' 'ready to tile' shower trays from say Brico Depot, or simply tile on to a brick support and seal with the "Migrastop" product?

Would the lack of use of a ceramic tray give rise to long term problems?

Many thanks in advance for any insights..

My old school had communal concrete baths which were tiled.

400 odd muddy boys bathed in them in year rotation every week during rugby season.

They lasted from circa 1930 until well after 1960........

And swimming pools are merely concrete covered in tiles.

No problem: the grouting, naturally, must be waterproof, rather than the normal product.

• 1 month later...
I have constructed a wet room in my London flat its a victorian flat and three floors up. So at first not a good bet for a wet room. But its been leak free for two years and I am confident for many more due to the materials used.

Striped all the walls back to the brick work, as much of the old plaster was blown. Fixed wedi boards to the walls fantastic product, taped and sealed the joints on the boards. The floor was marine ply which was then tanked with the tanking going 6' above the walls and the actual shower part was a wedi tray which which we then tiled on too. Great system and not complicated to instal your self.

Couldn't agree more, the 26 bathrooms (wet rooms) we installed in a Brighton hotel using Wedi boards were great although the first time we saw it we were not sure but the architect re-assured us so off we went, Wedi is amazing and their factory can produce 3D models of pool side benches for mosaic tiling plus other shapes to spec.

Archived