Complete France Forum

Sous couche placque de platre

Chancer

I've found that the "proper" stuff does the job very well. A cheap emulsion can be used but it takes a couple of coats at least to cover up the joints and screwheads. I've never had a problem with bubbling; are you diluting the paint too much perhaps?

Thats what I was going to do Eric, well actually the expensive but useless French emulsion left over from last time, shame I didnt wait another day I could have saved a 50 mile round trip.

The finish coat I am going to use is the Lidl promo Baufi stuff that was on the rayon last week, people on I think this forum swore by it, time will tell if I swear by or at it [:D]

Oh dear Chancer.

I am going to upset you even more by saying that I have used sous couche throughout, excpet when I ran out 2 days before the plumber was due to come and fit the rads.  So I used Lidl paint without any problems.  The normal French stuff I am sure would not have done a good job - as in, been there and done that as well.

Well having used the sous couche I have decided it was a chocolate teapot and I might just as well have knocked up some PVA and water if  I really wanted to wipe snots all over my nicely sanded and prepared surface.

The Lidl paint makes a far better primer, 2 coats over even red firestop plasterboard  gives almost complete obliteration and that is with only 5 minutes drying, you can just see the contrast where the white plaster is over the bandes, a 3rd coat would be perfect, the ceiling has taken one sous couche and two coats of Lidl paint and looks pants by comparison. 

I will however use the sous couche to size the walls as I will be using commercial Muraspec vinyl and when it is stripped it can rip the paper off of plasterboard so all is not lost, I could of course use PVA and have no snots but the Muraspec is a real cache misere!

Archived