Complete France Forum

Help Quarry On Doorstep

A friend of mine has just been told that a large Granite Quarry may be opened on land just across the road from thier house. The landowner has been offered a high price for the land & is considering it.

Does anyone know anything about the regulations controlling quarries, if any, or where such information could be obtained. They are very worried & are considering trying to sell thier house before any of this becomes public knowledge.

Thanks for any comments or advice

Tony

My advice would be  go see the mairie, if this potential quarry owner has made any formal enquiries they should know, and I doubt if they would pay a high price for land if they had not got some kind of guarantee that they could use it for a quarry

[quote user="rothrugby"]

They are very worried & are considering trying to sell their house before any of this becomes public knowledge.

Thanks for any comments or advice

Tony[/quote]

I'm afraid if there is any kind of formal proposals for the site the mairie would have to declare it to the notaire when he makes his enquiries regarding the sale

Jackie

[quote user="rothrugby"]

They are very worried & are considering trying to sell thier house before any of this becomes public knowledge.

Tony

[/quote]

If your friends were "told" by someone then it is already public knowledge

Besides which you havn't exactly helped them keep the knowledge from the public domain [:)]

I agree with Higgy's sentiments.

If they found out there is to be a quarry will they disclose this to the purchaser? Or a least draft a response to the thread concerning a buyer who has just bought their dream house only to find out 'those nice sellers did not mention the quarry'

I feel sorry for them if it there is to be a quarry but if they want to cheat the next buyer I do not.

There was a thread on a similar topic a few weeks ago, when someone found out some land near them was to have some kind of noisy building on it (can't remember exactly.) Their solution was to find out who owned the land now and managed to buy it from them - offerred a better price.

As someone who has a quarry nearby but not immediately on the doorstep I am very familiar with the associated problems.

Until an Arrete ( circumflex over middle e and an acute over the ending e) is issued nothing is formalised. I suspect that the Notaire's enquiries with Mairie would result in nothing being identified.

Point 1 - Crucial to galvanise local interest / opposition. Our community eventually formed an association and linked with GADEL ( An organisation concerned with environmental issues).

Lack of initial community effort allowed the quarrying company, (who have 850 mines/quarries in France ) to start small and expand without organised resistance. Supported by Dutch,Brits and Americans we have supported the local French who have much more awareness of the admin minefields. We have fought through the courts to address serious non-compliances with the terms in the Prefect's judgement document and WON !

There are rules ( Zone ND ) which limit what enterprises can do in country areas. Knowing and using the rules is crucial. Our Association obtained copies from the Mairie.

Working with GADEL we employed a lawyer and are now fighting through the courts to over-turn the Prefect's last judgement, with aim of closing the quarry down earlier than proposed.

Point 2 -  Any proposals for quarrying would be presented via the Mairie to the Prefecture and be subject to his approval.

Point 3 - There would be a Public Enquiry initiated with a Commissaire Enqueteur appointed. Proposal documents available at Mairie. Having an Association gives rights for copying but otherwise copying is not allowed.

Mayors will be keen to support a quarry as this brings in employment and revenue to their Commune. It is down to the "riverains" ( locals ) to fight off plans, via an association and using the press.

Point 4 - Feedback is passed to Prefect's office and then on to Paris. Outcome is usually detailed in a Prefectoral  Arrete ( a judgement )

Note - Departments such as DRIRE are responsible for the regulations concerning mining operations.

Hope this helps.

I found a report in the French News about a planned quarry in Bouloc, Tarn & Garonne. Summary - A big company is planning to excavate a 53ha limestone quarry. The locals have formed an association to stop the project, 80% have signed a petition, and the local farmers through SAFER say they have priority to buy the land.  But the owner of the business says he already owns the the land so tough. The Maire 's view: he is happy because it would make foreigners and Parisians leave, lowering property prices and allowing locals to afford the houses.  Glad I don't live there.

Archived