Complete France Forum

ELECTRIC WATER HEATER PROBLEM

James2

Hi,

I have a Delta 200L ( Steatite ) electric water heater, purchased from Mr Bricolage in Perigeaux in 2005.

Recently I find water continualy running from the ( red vindage ) valve,positioned under the tank, which I believe to be the expansion valve.

As per the instructions I run off some of this water once a year. This time however, water leaks from this valve, EVEN IF THE TANK IS COLD.

Is the valve faulty?

or is my water pressure too high?

Regards James2

I have had this once or twice. It can be because of sediment caught in the valve. Mine are like spring loaded and I found by opening the valve then letting go so it 'snaps' back a couple if time can either clear it or greatly reduce the flow after which it eventually stops. When you try this let about two or three ltrs of water run through to help clear any sediment out.

Drain the tank and remove the valve, put it in a vice or find some other way of keeping it upright and fill  in the upper female threaded section with vinegar or lemon juice and leave for a few hours or overnight, initially a little may dribble past the calc encrusted seal, if so top it up again.

After the treatment the groupe de securité should be as good as new.

Alternatively do as most others do and fork out €20 or so for a new one but you will be doing the same again in a year but at least you will have the old renovated one to swop it with.

Hi Quillan and Chancer,

Thanks for your help, tried the switching action and managed to get the leak to a dribble, so will see if the drips will eventualy stop, if not, I will try Chancer`s advice and disconnect the valve and clean it. So thanks again you guy`s, keeps her indoors happy too!!

Regards James2

Archived