Complete France Forum

Gripfill - best equivalent?

joidevie

The closest I've seen are these "cartouches de scellement chemique" at around €12 from Brico depot.. Has Evo licenced anything in France as the equivalent to Gripfill?

I'm flying to France next week, but I don't think Ryanair will be too pleased with some carts of Gripfill in my checked in bag! But at £3 a pop from Screwfix, it's a quater of the price!

Cheers..

The scellement chimique cartouches are not an equivalent to gripfill but to chemical anchors.

Gripfill in France is sold under the trade name ni clous ni vis but its a stupid price, mind you £3 a tube sound a lot to me, I usually pay 99p or a little more.

[quote user="Chancer"]

The scellement chimique cartouches are not an equivalent to gripfill but to chemical anchors.

Gripfill in France is sold under the trade name ni clous ni vis but its a stupid price, mind you £3 a tube sound a lot to me, I usually pay 99p or a little more.

[/quote]

I thought Gripfill was the hardcore stuff which I used on set building jobs (been a while) which will bond anything to anything? Smells like the scellement chimique ones, or am I wrong?

No more nails is not what I was hoping to find - I need to seriously attach some architrave to a wood door frame & fresh chalk mortar join to help the frame bond to the edges..

Maybe I'm out of touch, but the scellement chimique used to do wonders for attaching steel bolts etc. to crumbly stone walls, shutter gonds to brick walls etc?

And the hazard data for gripfill reads fairly badly if quized at check in

Cheers.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

Sshh don't tell everyone [:)]

You are right Chancer it is chem fix not grip fill although some chem fix does use styrene as does gripfill

Edit:

J, gripfill can let go in damp conditions, generally chemfix doesn't.  If you get stuck (pun inteded)  there is always sika modified polymer it won't let you down on architrave but naturally will cost you more en france, more like sticks like s***.

[quote user="Théière"]

No it's sika flex 6.20 euros tube. That said any of the modified polymers such as the Ceresit or Works would be ok from the UK as they don't have the flamable solvent of gripfill. 

[/quote]

I guess the Sikaflex will be more flexible than the scellement chemique, especially if bonding wood to render.. [I]

Yup, Sikaflex or any polyurethane sealer is my tool of choice when I need soemthing to stick like the proverbial and not degrade with time.

I used to glue the wings on my Ford Sierras with it, I had welding gear and initially used it on the door flange which was tricky to weld and even trickier to refinish , in the end I would paint the panels first and use PU sealant to hold them on.

I also often use scellement chimique, PU wood glue and expanded foam is my preffered choice for bidouillage, in fact my close associates cal me Le Roi De La Mousse.

Its not often these days that I use something like No-Nails, mainly down to cost and also preffering to use a proper fixing, it comes into its own on sites where you may not have to hand what you need.

For fixing skirting boards and covings etc I love to use the Toolstation solvent free No-Nails/gripfill, its very cheap, sticks adequately but more important in white and can be finished instantly with a wet sponge or finger againts the painted or wallpapered surface

I would not use scellement chimique to stick anything per se, as its name suggests it is intended for embedded joints like pitons and wall anchors, it comes into its own where an expansive fixing might blow soft or brittle material or near an edge.

I have some window guard rails (is that what un garde corps de fenetre is called in English) to fit soon, a perfect example of where to use scellement chimique, far better than cimet de scellement or pouring molten lead (for vertical railings).

[quote user="Chancer"]

For fixing skirting boards and covings etc I love to use the Toolstation solvent free No-Nails/gripfill, its very cheap, sticks adequately but more important in white and can be finished instantly with a wet sponge or finger againts the painted or wallpapered surface

[/quote]

Don't like that stuff, sets like toothpaste with the same adhesion characteristics. Had to PU stair nosings on a development where No nails.... had been used and someone slipped badly on the stairs when the bond gave way.

Archived