Complete France Forum

Excess grout on tiles

frexpt

Tiling of the bathrooms in our new place has been completed, but following a good clean up, we can see that grout has stuck to the face some of the tiles.  The tiles have a finish akin to orange peel and the blasted grout, no matter how carefully it was applied, is visible in the pitted surfaces, taking the lustre off the tiles.

Sulphumic (or sulphamic) acid has been suggested.  Anybody know anything about it?

I popped into the local brico just now, before it closed for lunch, but I couldn't see anything.  I'll go back and make some enquiries later........

I have some sulphuric acid, brick cleaner here but it might be a bit too far to travel.  I made some good money brick cleaning a military base's new buildings back in the 80's.  You dilute it 20-1 but this would depend on the strength of the acid, spray it on, scrub it with a brush then rinse off with lots of water.  I would be very careful with it, try it very weak 1st.  As far as I am aware hydrochloric would do the same job.  You might be able to find alloy wheel cleaner, it's the same stuff.

I found this problem with the new tiles I just did. I left it to dry for a few days to prevent harm to the grout in the joins, then went at them with a stiff bristles nail scrubbing brush and soapy water, which did the job no problem.

It is sulphamic acid.  Sulphuric acid will work as well.  I would not however use hydrochloric acid unless I could not get one of the other 2 because of the fumes - even diluted.  It will however remove the coating on your tiles - and your lungs!!

And yes a stiff brush and elbow grease are likely to be needed.

Fortunately they are glazed, although the surface is textured, which is what causes the problem.  I remembered that I had a small steam cleaner tucked away, so I have fired that up in the first instance, incojunction with plenty of elbow grease.  The results, so far, have been encouraging.  I may have to resort to one of the acids, but I am more optimistic than I was.

However, I have encountered another problem, for which I will start another post.............

Archived