Complete France Forum

How would you wire this up?

dave21478

I have a light I would like to be motion-activated. So far so simple...however, I would ideally like the same light to be activated by two different motion sensors. I don't forsee any problems there either.

Lets call the sensors A and B.

Sensor A is near a fuse box(secondary tableau elsewhere in the house and not the main box), so a supply is no problem. Sensor B is some distance away. There is a lighting circuit I could tap into for power here, BUT this would be on a different MCB in the main fuse box. Not ok, I would imagine? as if both sensors activate, the two different circuits would be linked through the light.

The only solution that springs to mind is to run a cable from sensor B back to the same power supply as sensor A. A hassle, but not insurmountable.

Is here any other solution? My brother-in-law recently wired his hall lights through a widget he bought in Mr Bricolage, which you can add as many switches to as you like. The switches are battery powered and send a signal to the control unit to switch the light on or off. A motion sensing version of this would fit the bill for me.

I assume that you have or will have cabling between the light and both the sensors, so unless you have an issue with not enough cores why cant you power the remote sensor from the first power source.

If you just have 2 cores available, I will ignore the earth because you mustnt use that as a switched live, no really, you mustnt! [;-)]

In that case power the second sensor light from the adjacent tableau, use the switched live output to trigger a relay to switch the live coming from the first power source to the light.

I hope that makes sense but I dont think I have really understood the problem.

Archived