Complete France Forum

Rewire costs

crossy67

I have had a very nice English electrician round today to measure up for a quote to re wire our house.  It's 3 story 5 bed room with en suite and a few other bits and bobs.  Back in the UK one of my best mates is an electrician so any wiring work has always been done at mates rates so I have absolutely no idea what the costs are likely to be, €100? We will be needing new fuse box the lot.  Any one got any experiences thay would care to share, pm me your costs if you would prefer, I would just like to know the range of csts we could expect.

Ta.

Down here the going rate seems to be between 90 and 100 Euros for every socket, switch and light outlet so say one room with two power sockets and one light with switch would be between 360 and 400 Euros depending on what type of material the walls are made of. If it's stone then it more likely to be around 100 to even 110 Euros each. The reason am told, and I am no expert, is that the very old conduit is too small and cannot accommodate three wires round sharp turns so you have to run new conduit or whatever its called because it's bigger. The prices take in to acount a new 'fuse' box.

We covered this previously, I was smarting, the quotes specifically do not include chasing cables into walls since I have a skirting duct around all rooms.
http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1852191/ShowPost.aspx

I had a quote for wiring a 2-bed gite barn conversion @ €5000, (though we were advised it was not to conseuil standard, ie not telephone and TV points everywhere, that would be an additional €2000!) we then had a second devi from another.
Our second quote €8400!! including 22 Prise de courant at €67 each (this includes the wiring I believe!)
I asked a learned French Friend his advice, his opinion was that the €7k was not to be trusted with a gallic shake of the wrist, whereas everyone uses the €8.4k and he calls out with no charge and fixes everything for free after. I'm struggling to come terms with this, having had a bigger place in the UK rewired for less than half that amount.

In the end the guy visited when I was working on the property (clearly had a gap in his schedule and needed instant payment), so agreed to do the job to conseil standard for a one off price of €half devi, I was concerned that shortcuts would be taken but none were except the facture where there is not a full description, several other trades have commented how good the job is. I had to do the chasing and ducting of cables.

see also:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2121571/ShowPost.aspx

Thanks all. 

John it was the gent you gave me the number of, I haven't had his quote through yet so have no idea what to expect and am not complaining, he seems a really nice bloke and wanted to do the job the way I wanted it done which is always a good thing.  I had one other "electrician" (doubt it very much) who wouldn't touch a full rewire, I have a feeling it was the 3 phase that phased him a bit lol.

Dog, you have pm, ta.

I've just had a cousin of a mate do some wiring for me. Re-route the old wiring in the attic to a new box I put in.  (NO new plugs, just resiting the existing cabling for lights, cooker etc). 

He quoted €500 (as he was between jobs) and said it would be around 5 days...€100 a day...bargain, i thought. I've had enough of paying TVA twice (TVA and Tax valeur Anglais) so I thought that sounded OK. He suggested it would take around 200m of 2,5mm and 100mm of 1.5mm

He finished in a day and half...and really stretched the 2nd day until lunch time. I bought all the cable (and still have 100m of 2,5mm if anyone wants to offer me something for it!).

I'm getting fed up of being taken for a mug. I've reached the conclusion where I think they don't price a job, they just see how much they think you can afford to pay.

Archived