Complete France Forum

Can I have a straight flue?

confused of chalus

Me too, I wondered about that but after years of use with no problems I think there's no issue with going straight up.  Can't see the sky though coz I have a rain cap on the end [:D]

I can only think that introducing a bend would allow a cleaning hatch to be placed at the elbow for easy access.  I use a 'bouche de rammonage (sp?) once a year and it's fine. - note to self, must do that again soon!

C of C.

I imagine when you are thinking about flues and bends you are remembering the throat part of a traditional UK open hearth. That did indeed stick out and constrict the airflow, but actually acted a bit like an aircraft wing, forcing the gasses to accelerate as they passed into the chimney. It was thought to aid the 'draw' of a flue, and minimize smoking in a cold chimney.  A bend in a flue, where the cross-section of the flue itself is largely unaltered, served only to impede the flow of gasses, and the fewer you have, the better. And in this case, zero is the perfect number!

p

Ha, yes! We did it with a shovel and a sheet of newspaper, wait until the paper turns brown, and then if you're lucky slide the shovel out just in time.

Erm, Health and Safety? Never heard of 'em! [:D] I had to light the fire when I got home from school and the house was still empty; can you imagine that today? Parents would get pilloried!

[quote user="sid"]

Ha, yes! We did it with a shovel and a sheet of newspaper, wait until the paper turns brown, and then if you're lucky slide the shovel out just in time.

Erm, Health and Safety? Never heard of 'em! [:D] I had to light the fire when I got home from school and the house was still empty; can you imagine that today? Parents would get pilloried!

[/quote]

As did I, and most of my school friends. Also peel the spuds and put them on ready for Mum coming home from work.

[quote user="Bill"]always worth putting a proper bird protector on the top of your bent or straight flue. They are a few quid or euros. worth every penny. rgds Bill[/quote]

Or a piece of chicken wire will do as that is pennies not pounds.

The Times was always my choice for holding over the fire place as it didn't catch as easily as some of the cheaper papers [:)]

We love it too Doux.

The only bits that I have made are on the table. The chair came from the local Trocante and the table from a very good shop in Salvasa near the airport. It is a favorite of mine made from cherry. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. I am no good at making furniture.

One of my jobs is to replace the top white surround around the bottom. I think it is a plaster something and it is going to have to be replaced with tiles. We have found some nice ones, just a case of starting the job?

Archived