Complete France Forum

Water Pressure?

mogs

We have lived in our new build house for approx 4 weeks, at the weekend both my dishwasher and washing machine stopped working. The dishwasher is new but the washing machine is around 11 years old so I'm not so worried about that.

I called out an engineer to the dishwasher who said he couldn't find anything wrong with it but that our water pressure was too high. The water is remaining in the bottom of the dishwasher and it is not completing its programme, ie finishing after just rinsing.

Also our ballon is not producing water hot enough to wash up or have a bath, it is just about warm enough for a shower. This is a new issue as it was ok before, could this be a water pressure problem also?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? The plumber was supposed to be coming today to fit a pressure valve, but didn't turn up - typical!

Can't really think why high or low pressure should cause your hot water supply to drop as you describe.

If you need a pressure regulator, and TBH most houses do you only want about 3.5bar, you might want to ask your plumber why he didn't fit one in the first place !

I can't see pressure being the cause either.  Did either of the appliances 'clunk' when they stopped filling? sign of over high pressure. As it's a new build the first thing which would occur to me would be stuff in the supply pipes (what you might call something beginning with 'c' and ending  with 'rap') blocking the inlet filters to the machines?

The commune here had work done on the water main, and when the supply came back on, I had to rinse the nozzle of one of the mixer taps to get a load of grit off it; 4-bar and the flow had practically stopped. I'm hoping all of it collected there, but if either of the machines start to fill slowly, I'll have to take the hoses off and check them.  Might be worth a look in your case too.

Are you a single new-build or one of a number?

Is the hot water a temperature problem or a flow problem? If temp, I would suspect thermostat. Are you heating it on HC/HP? If so there's a tiny possibility you're not getting enough hours switchover. Possibly a relay fault? To test it you'll need an old-fashioned self-starting electric clock wired onto the same circuit.

p

I think there should be a rudimentary filter on the incoming supply before it enters the meter. Mine has a gauze filter and when I took the meter out after attending to a leak I noticed that there was quite a bit of crud there and cleaning it made a significant difference not to my pressure but to the actual flow rate.

Problem sorted now, the plumber came to fit a pressure valve and both the dishwasher and washing machine are now working.

The ballon was only on no. 3 so we've turned it up to 5 and that has sorted out this problem.

The plumbers were only doing a limited amount of work with the remainder being done by ourselves.

Anyway all sorted thanks for replies.

Archived